Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on Firmware 8.0 Download Priorities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if Tesla is releasing Firmware 8.0 first to high mileage per day drivers. I think it would make sense to start getting the most feedback from the fewest drivers in the beginning deployment. It would also make sense to give a broad distribution over the various models and geographic locations.

Any feedback on this from the few drivers that have already received the update?

Perhaps. I am a low mileage driver and have not received 8.0 yet, although other threads speculate there are 700+ owners that have had the beta code under NDA for weeks/months, so Tesla could have plenty of data before GA if the cross-section of those potential NDA participants were properly identified before inviting them, and the data were appropriately analyzed before making a GO decision to distribute 8.0 to the fleet. If that were the case, Tesla may then find a few outlier cases as the population expands with GA deployment, but hopefully nothing of real substance that would stop or slow it from happening.

...the whole thing with gathering data for AP use in updated mapping tiles is a whole other discussion. There, repetitive volume of vehicles across a geographically diverse area is needed to increase confidence identifying the mapping/road exceptions that are eventually passed onto the fleet. Just because a driver puts on a lot of miles, it could be traveling the same roads every day. While that is valuable, also having the data from multiple drivers and in even more physical areas is important a too.

I was just looking at the Tesla Firmware Tracker Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

It looks like the updates are all over the map. The only cars that looks like they are being left out are Model Xs. This is self reporting, so there may be some Xs updated that we don't know about. From what data is there, it looks like the car details are all over the map, though most are US cars.

You have to open up sections to see different sorts of the data.

My theory.........I'm thinking this release is an "NHSTA we've already got it handled" release disguised as the "most exciting upgrade of all times" release. Ergo a primarily AP focused release with a few extras to soften the blow and mask its intention. So maybe.........it's being rolled out by a combination of driving habits, AP usage, AP experience, AP stats and such similar risk profile data. It's not to insult anyone, but TSLA has so much driving data on us it's hard to believe the roll out doesn't have at least some driving habits or risk profile built in the algo, if for no other reason than to further stress the application beyond beta drivers before mass distribution. They'd never admit it but given the primary purpose of the release is safety, (and calculating individual risk profiles is a snap), why not minimize/reduce risk sooner rather than later with an auto build (model and features) & risk calibrated roll-out? With so many builds, it'd never be obvious.

Reactions: TampaRich and BertL
Could it be they are REALLLLLLLY busy? With end-of the quarter sales boom, Solar City digestion, M3 production Ap2 development...They might just be rolling out V8.0 slowly because they CANT do it fast? They might need a few hands on deck to handle the early complaints (sure, there will never be any because its a Tesla) so want to keep the size of the wave down.

Could it be they are REALLLLLLLY busy? With end-of the quarter sales boom, Solar City digestion, M3 production Ap2 development...They might just be rolling out V8.0 slowly because they CANT do it fast? They might need a few hands on deck to handle the early complaints (sure, there will never be any because its a Tesla) so want to keep the size of the wave down.

Got it last night...45k in 14 months driver. I like it. 80 miles playing with it...Autopilot is more steady, scrolling / internet more responsive and more useable. entertainment
Interface is much better. Regen better. Lots of noticeable improvements

No one questioned that it shouldn't be a controlled release, just speculation on the programmable logic.

And BTW, thousands of great companies like tesla are REALLLLLLLY busy too. Being busy is why they earn greatness. It's not unique except that only the very very best can sustainably handle it. Ever read Good to Great? It's excellent.

My theory.........I'm thinking this release is an "NHSTA we've already got it handled" release disguised as the "most exciting upgrade of all times" release. Ergo a primarily AP focused release with a few extras to soften the blow and mask its intention. So maybe.........it's being rolled out by a combination of driving habits, AP usage, AP experience, AP stats and such similar risk profile data. It's not to insult anyone, but TSLA has so much driving data on us it's hard to believe the roll out doesn't have at least some driving habits or risk profile built in the algo, if for no other reason than to further stress the application beyond beta drivers before mass distribution. They'd never admit it but given the primary purpose of the release is safety, (and calculating individual risk profiles is a snap), why not minimize/reduce risk sooner rather than later with an auto build (model and features) & risk calibrated roll-out? With so many builds, it'd never be obvious.

I use AP daily for approx. 25 miles/day and got 8.0 on day one. Would be interested to hear what other 8.0 driver's AP usage is.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
I have 2100 miles total and received it immediately so.......................
That's the cool part of the mystery, right. So.............what if you've got a new brand 60, (test point) and you've used AP 85% of total drive time at an average speed of 77 mph with 53% of total AP usage on undivided roadways or secondary streets and 99% nag ignorance rate (combo test points). Purely fictional example, but the data collected on us can be easily analyzed to create risk profiles and predict future actions.
One thing is certain, the deployment is not a lotto drawing; logic resides somewhere to touch all the various build and usage combinations. Why would they miss the opportunity to do so? Very cool stuff with all the data they have on us. :eek:

...Very cool stuff with all the data they have on us. :eek:
Absolutely agreed ...until a horror occurs and we are told the data has been hacked by some unknown entity, or when we hear one day about summons that force Tesla to hand over the data for investigations as to exactly what we've been up to in our vehicles ...and as if I have something to hide, I thought I was only paranoid about Google and Social Media keeping track of my every movement! Thank you very much for the reminder to add another thing to my list! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NikeWings
Absolutely agreed ...until a horror occurs and we are told the data has been hacked by some unknown entity, or when we hear one day about summons that force Tesla to hand over the data for investigations as to exactly what we've been up to in our vehicles ...and as if I have something to hide, I thought I was only paranoid about Google and Social Media keeping track of my every movement! Thank you very much for the reminder to add another thing to my list! ;)
Ha Ha Bert........oh for sure. you know it! :D Be afraid, be very afraid.