Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on Model 3 trunk design revision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since the initial complaints about the trunk opening size on the Model 3 concept, I'm wondering what changes the final production model will bring. I think a full-fledged hatchback is pretty much out of the question at this point. Here are the three possibilities I've hypothesized:

1) Larger cut-out with a deeper cut into the bumper, and slightly less rear glass taper and a longer decklid profile.

2) Partial lifting rear glass, but fixed rear bulkhead crossmember.

3) Two-piece opening with "tailgate" on lower bumper.

My money's on 1, from a simplicity standpoint. Thoughts?

The car is really beautiful as is.
Anything that makes the wake bigger is not going to happen, if Tesla stay true to goals.
The rear glass panel begs to be hinged on the front edge.
Not convinced the existing trunk lid cannot be articulated off of that.
Open independently, or as a pair with struts. Removable shelf.

That makes the low frontal area Model 3 an unbeatable car with a long market life. Likely an 8-10 year run.
It also delivers the best return on engineering investment and has a chance to be reasonably quiet as the shelf (soft wall noise trap) is not an afterthought as it is with most hatches.

Same same but different. :)
QXLL0XJ.gif

Ever since the initial complaints about the trunk opening size on the Model 3 concept, I'm wondering what changes the final production model will bring. I think a full-fledged hatchback is pretty much out of the question at this point. Here are the three possibilities I've hypothesized:

1) Larger cut-out with a deeper cut into the bumper, and slightly less rear glass taper and a longer decklid profile.

2) Partial lifting rear glass, but fixed rear bulkhead crossmember.

3) Two-piece opening with "tailgate" on lower bumper.

My money's on 1, from a simplicity standpoint. Thoughts?
1) Take the time to do a walkaround of direct competitors and you'll see most of them have a pretty short 'decklid' area anyway.

2) The glass will not lift at all.

3) There may be a tailgate on the YANKEE, AKA Model Y, but never on the Model ☰.​

Please understand that the 'shelf' area behind the rear seats is a structural member, it exists for the sake of survivable crash testing, and isn't going anywhere. That is not getting smaller. When Elon wrote of a 'larger' opening, I'm certain he was not speaking of either plan view, or the depth front-to-back. It seems to me he would make the opening wider, as seen from the rear, and possibly a small amount taller. So, lower liftover height, and wider opening.

Why couldn't it be a hatchback (or estate) version from the Model 3?

All manufacturers have different versions from a single model family...
If you do a search of the forum you'll find several other threads on the whole hatchback vs trunk discussion. Most of them contain some good technical reasons why it probably won't happen. Most of them also devolve into name calling, insults, hurt feelings, and well fed trolls - so beware ... :)

Reactions: Red Sage
1994, the Volvo 940 was actually quicker in estate than sedan. So they raced that, to BTCC victories. Their aero design was not quite at Tesla refinement, though, I suppose.
I'd love to see a proper estate version, even if it would cost, say 5% of range. I'm not a car owner, but came *this* close to buying a used Focus Wagon.

From my understanding, the notchback (sedan) bodystyle was selected to maximize rear headroom. Supposedly the roof crossmember that would have been required with a hatch would have impeded too much into rear headroom. Understandable, but disappointing. I too was hoping for a Model S-style hatch.

Reactions: Red Sage
Why couldn't it be a hatchback (or estate) version from the Model 3?

All manufacturers have different versions from a single model family...
I have said for over two years that I expect the Tesla Model ☰ to eventually replicate the entire BMW 3-Series lineup -- wherever and whenever it makes most sense. Most seem to expect the Model Y will be an SUV, perhaps a bit like the BMW X3, but with Falcon Wing Doors. That is a possibility, I guess. But I think the Model ☰ badge will adorn configurations other than the current Sedan: Crossover/Wagon, Coupe, and Convertible. So, if a Liftback version is introduced, that would be an analog to the 3-Series Gran Turismo. But considering the European market, I figure a Hatchback Estate car would more closely match the 3-Series Wagon. I would be immensely surprised if a 2-Door Liftback Coupe (with Falcon Wing Doors) were to appear prior to 2019 -- but that would make me happiest. At least until a hardtop convertible version were introduced (highly unlikely). I think that Tesla wants to prove the Model ☰ can outsell the BMW 3-Series with only a Sedan first, and they will. That success may well delay the release of other configurations for a while. But perhaps not their announcements: because Elon Musk has said he would love to release a new car every year if possible in order to become a 'full line' producer of cars.

Reactions: melindav