Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on Model Y Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the speculation is that the Model Y is based off the Model 3? A 3 with falcon wing doors doesn't sound compelling enough to differentiate it from the 3. Even with a hatchback configuration. But then again if the sweet spot for mass adoption is the Model 3 then multiple configurations might be the smartest direction to go. I would like to see a larger X or a truck to round out their offerings. Trucks are huge sellers in many locations and it would be great to see companies adopt EVs in their work fleet.

So the speculation is that the Model Y is based off the Model 3? A 3 with falcon wing doors doesn't sound compelling enough to differentiate it from the 3. Even with a hatchback configuration. But then again if the sweet spot for mass adoption is the Model 3 then multiple configurations might be the smartest direction to go. I would like to see a larger X or a truck to round out their offerings. Trucks are huge sellers in many locations and it would be great to see companies adopt EVs in their work fleet.

I expect that the Y and 3 will share some similarities, specifically in footprint, powertrain, battery options, and driver instrumentation. However, I believe with a high degree of certainty that the Y will be much different than the 3.

The Honda Civic and Honda CR-V share the same platform layout and have some similarities in powertrain and instrumentation, but from the wheels on up they are fairly different.

My prediction is that the Model 3 will be a compact crossover in the roughly the same class as Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, and Chevy Equinox. I do not believe it will be equipped with Falcon Wing doors. Falcon Wings were created for Model X specifically to address the issue of difficult 3rd row access in 3-row mid-size crossovers such as the Honda Pilot. I don't believe they have as much usefulness in a 2-row compact crossover. Furthermore, they add to complexity and cost of the vehicle. In sum, I expect that from a physical layout perspective, Model Y will be fairly conventional. The magic, as with Model 3, will be in the powertrain, battery, and interior technology features.

There's been a bunch of these speculative posts popping up for the end of the year.

I hope you're right about the falcon wing doors, anticitizen13.7, I suspect I'll have nightmares about that before the reveal happens.

The Model Y will be replacing my 2004 Forester (knocks on wood that it will last), and while you can pack a lot off the back of the X, like skis and bikes; my paddle board needs a roof rack!

• Love
Reactions: RIZE
Call me crazy, but I think the Model Y will have some sort of third row option. It may just be a somewhat larger version of the Model S jump seat (similar to the Nissan Rouge). But I bet Elon will push for something that can carry him and his five kids.

Quite a while ago -- I think even before the 3 initial reveal -- Elon tweeted that one of the 3 and Y will have falcon wing doors. Obviusly we now know the 3 doesn't. He deleted it the tweet pretty quick though.

Quite a while ago -- I think even before the 3 initial reveal -- Elon tweeted that one of the 3 and Y will have falcon wing doors. Obviusly we now know the 3 doesn't. He deleted it the tweet pretty quick though.

I suspect that he wasn't entirely sure which way to go for Model Y at that time.

In any case, we won't know for sure until the reveal. But I hope Tesla skips the feature as I feel the trade offs are greater than the benefits for a vehicle of that size and price tier.

The video is essentially quick repackaging of a bunch of Model Y text articles that have been getting duplicated around the web, but seemingly starting from this Dec 28th Business Insider article:

7 features we'll probably see in Tesla's mysterious 'Model Y'

I'm not sure if the 3rd row would work with the presumably smaller/shorter dimensions of the Model 3 platform, are there any compact SUV's with 3rd row seating?

Elon's subsequently deleted Tweet is all that we have to go on for now regarding the FWDoors. Yes they'll have made them much more reliable by the time of the Model Y unveil, but does the extra complexity work within the Model Y's base price range? If there's no 3rd row option, the practical benefits do go way down, and it's just about the cool factor. Personally, my hope is as they move down-market, Tesla will be more inclined to appeal to the SPORT and UTILITY functionality of the cSUV. Not everyone will want or need a roof-rack, but the option is a great one. Heck! You can get on for a Model S!

There's been a bunch of these speculative posts popping up for the end of the year.

I hope you're right about the falcon wing doors, anticitizen13.7, I suspect I'll have nightmares about that before the reveal happens.

The Model Y will be replacing my 2004 Forester (knocks on wood that it will last), and while you can pack a lot off the back of the X, like skis and bikes; my paddle board needs a roof rack!

The Y will be replacing our 2011 Forester as well, provided we get a more practical vehicle out of Elon this time (as compared to the X...) - I've got a long list of items I'm looking for (and photos of what I expect it to do) on a blog post I penned a few months ago. Every so often I tweet it to Elon hoping that it will get through to the design team, but so far no acknowledgement. Summary of it below:

- basically similar stats to newer Forester in dimensions, turning radius, clearance, hangover, AWD (ie I want it to be able to do some light off-roading)
- wagon-ish shape for decent cargo room in the hatch, plus provision for power (both AC and DC), and hatch glass that opens independent of hatch (so handy for getting stuff out when you have gear on the hitch!)
- roof rack support!! (bonus points to design aero around having a cargo pod on top, or at least bars attached)
- hitch tongue of 350 lbs, tow ability of 3,500 lbs, 2" receiver

Dear Tesla: Suggested features for the Model Y

Go have a look and help me populate the list and get Elon to read it!

Reactions: DurandalAI
How long is a few years according to Elon? 3-4 years? Thats a pretty long time to wait for the Model Y if that really is the car you want.
On top of waiting for the M3 for 3-4 years thats an 8 year wait. Elon should at least give us a flavor or a prototype so we can transfer our reservation over to a MY.

Maybe they learned, that a bunch of potential Model S buyers didn't buy because of a SUV (X) that took years to come. Antiselling the X was a popular method 2013-2016.

So, this time they shouldn't show, or tell anything about a Model Y, till they can really deliver it.

If you want a new car and can afford it, don't waste more time waiting for the next whatever. The 3 is the real deal now!

But to feed the addicted:
Another possibility could be, that they've a suv like M3 on the line now, but call it Model B and the Y is years away, while it's a truck or whatever.
B S3XY :p

Last edited:
How long is a few years according to Elon? 3-4 years? Thats a pretty long time to wait for the Model Y if that really is the car you want.
On top of waiting for the M3 for 3-4 years thats an 8 year wait. Elon should at least give us a flavor or a prototype so we can transfer our reservation over to a MY.

I'm sure many would be happier if Elon had said "a couple years", as that's more generally assumed as 2, but pragmatically most people use couple and few interchangeably.

I do not think the Y is 3-4 years away. It's clear that 2017 is going to be very much getting the Model 3 ball rolling. 2018 will about building out options like dual motor and RHD while at the same time trying to get to that 10,000/week number. I'm actually much more optimistic about them reaching their production goals now with the reduced initial complexity. And that's important because while I don't believe that Tesla will wait forever to announce the Y, I do think having the Model 3 production line humming along will play a role in Model Y announcement timeline.

"A few years" away still fits a sometime in 2019 production start comfortably.

Reactions: djdimsum
AFAIK Model S and X share one platform and Model 3 and Y will share another, considerably smaller platform.

Model Y will be as competitive as 3 - not a flagship, base price below 40k$. No HUD, no Bioweapon Defense Mode, 5 seats. But it will definitely have towing capability and more trunk space. As it will not be sedan.
My offer is that base version Model Y will have +5kWh pack compared to M3. So RWD 60kWh. And as it will take years to get to MY production, same battery pack package as M3 will offer 80kWh. No need for longer wheelbase.

Otherwise Tesla will drift off course of their primary mission and 3 steps to get to mass market sales.

Saying Model X is a SUV is pushing, but acceptable. Y will be CUV, if not a hot hatchback sized as CUV.