Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on what "TESLIVE" actually is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goes-to-11.png
TESLIVE changed his/her avatar. Anyone up for processing this?

Skärmavbild 2013-02-06 kl. 22.19.31.png

Goes-to-11.png
TESLIVE changed his/her avatar. Anyone up for processing this?

View attachment 15998

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/02/06/tesla-becoming-a-serious-threat.aspx

And a comment on that post is:

On February 06, 2013, at 6:42 PM, NickVolson wrote:
TESLIVE. How perfect. The Time Management Clock synced with mine at midnight. I’m sure it will be a great success but don’t know why you need me there. You have a great team and I’m sure everyone will get onboard once they see what you are doing. It’s just such a long way to the coast and the general’s stink bombs are here fouling the air. You are leading a movement in technology and I’m not going to be much help stuck in another abandoned warehouse. And what’s this about a nutty discovery at Comical? I have dozens of YCs outside ready to pounce and all I have around me are broken tech, pigeon crap and layers of dust. I’m tired, almost out of water and thousands of miles away. You’re nuts. Good luck in getting those last parts.

Nick

Last edited:
Not sure about the link to the last article but I was thinking of two options for the date:
1) Announcement of a Satellite link from/to all the cars. Could be used to provide better communication, subscription music service, Navigation, etc.
2) Vehicle to Grid (V 2 G mentioned in one of the messages) connection for the Model S

- - - Updated - - -

The comment is signed Nick Volson

Maybe SpaceX is putting up A Tesla satelite to provide communication, music, data to all the cars they are selling. How cool would that be?? How many subscriptions would it take to pay for at least part of a launch?

- - - Updated - - -

More wild speculation!!

An equatorial launch of a geosynchronous satellite comes in at around $500 million, if you use someone like "sea launch": http://www.sea-launch.com/

In Teslas case they coud use their own launch vehicle (that SpaceX makes), but they don't have a launch pad optimized for geosynchronous insertion... If they where to launch a satellite, they might still use a commercial launch service. The entire package (satellite, launch, etc) can easily top a billion these days. It's more likely they would lease a transponder on an existing satellite, than launch their own, at this point.

An equatorial launch of a geosynchronous satellite comes in at around $500 million, if you use someone like "sea launch": http://www.sea-launch.com/

In Teslas case they coud use their own launch vehicle (that SpaceX makes), but they don't have a launch pad optimized for geosynchronous insertion... If they where to launch a satellite, they might still use a commercial launch service. The entire package (satellite, launch, etc) can easily top a billion these days. It's more likely they would lease a transponder on an existing satellite, than launch their own, at this point.

SpaceX is actually in the process of building a launch pad at Vandenburg Air Force Base that will be ideally suited for both polar and Geosynchronous orbits.

Vandenberg is only ideally suited for geosynchronous if you can guarantee your grasshopper landing doesn't fail all over a populated area. I can't see the FAA allowing it.

And no launch costs $500m.

$50-$400 million according to this site: HowStuffWorks
There is also the cost of the satellite, which must be considered part of the mission cost, as they can and do fail to achieve orbit (go boom): Sea Launch rocket fails and destroys satellite | MNN - Mother Nature Network
SeaLaunch just had a recent failure. Interesting that SpaceX is putting money/effort into Vandenburg, seems like where they would prefer to launch from (as opposed to the atol they had been using years earlier).

Back on track, whatever "Teslive" is, it's pretty much not going to involve Tesla launching any kind of satellite.
Leasing a transponder to deliver downloads to the cars, that's a possibility.
Tesla does not have the resources or need their own satellite at the current time, or have a business need for that much bandwidth/capacity anyway.

Come on guys, let's be more realistic. I really think the satellite dish was not a real clue, just something to get our imagination flying and to make us miss the point. I read the comment on that Montley Fool's article and I think I have something that fits... Bear with me:

TESLIVE. How perfect. The Time Management Clock synced with mine at midnight. I’m sure it will be a great success but don’t know why you need me there.
This thing is synced with the countdown clock... Good start.

You have a great team and I’m sure everyone will get onboard once they see what you are doing.
I believe it's talking to it's creator (Tesla Motors) and the great team here is us, customers.

It’s just such a long way to the coast and the general’s stink bombs are here fouling the air.
It's far from the coast! It's in the middle of the country! Stink bombs fouling the air are ICE cars.

You are leading a movement in technology and I’m not going to be much help stuck in another abandoned warehouse.
The thing is hidden in a warehouse... Sounds to me like that technology Tesla developed in secret an revealed only after there were 6 operating stations in California

And what’s this about a nutty discovery at Comical?
I have no idea about this part... Someone?

I have dozens of YCs outside ready to pounce and all I have around me are broken tech, pigeon crap and layers of dust. I’m tired, almost out of water and thousands of miles away.
The dozens of YCs are also difficult to decipher... Maybe this thing has dozens of solar panels? Or dozens of "young colleges" (other brand new charging stations). In a desert? Miles away from the (san francisco) coast?

You’re nuts. Good luck in getting those last parts.
Nick
Tesla is crazy for letting a brand new functional Super Charger gathering dust. The last parts must be the last Super Charger stations that complete the corridor?! Coast-to-coast?

---- update:
I just read the decrypted message... My theory doesn't look so good anymore :(

Last edited:
Drive.png
According to Juliet Watthouse LinkedIn she worked at Canonical Industries. So the X-1 Message and the Nick reply were likely meaning Canonical instead of Conical or Comical.

Yep...

Juliet Watthouse | LinkedIn

Lead

Canonical Industries

February 2004 – December 2008 (4 years 11 months)
Robotics division Divison of Global MegaWorld. Decreased oil based robotic emissions to 86 percent. Led a small team for 3 years on unrealized clean multiarc magnetic open air robot thrust systems unaffected by inherent tonsil seed design weaknesses. Project scrapped internally by status quo energy suppliers.