Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not black, it is gray or a dark silver.
7hAt4UL.jpg

Hmm...now I'm not so sure those are the official wheels underneath. I hope so but it's also possible this guy just bought the aftermarket lugnut caps and the little center cap is actually from the aero cover and is removable. At any rate this looks nice and I'd still get the 18s and pay to have this done if this isn't the stock finish under the aero cover.

Sigh... Glad to see that center/lug caps are either included or available, but not so glad to see they changed the color of the wheel to match the aero cover.

It'll look great with red and white body paint, and it'll probably look decent with silver, midnight silver, and black, but I'm not so sure about how it will look with blue, my color of choice... Within my fashion-backwards sense of aesthetics, that blue is meant to be paired with much lighter-colored wheels. Thus the 18-versus-19-versus-aftermarket debate rages on...

Reactions: DR61
Not sure why folks are talking about 'included' and assuming that the wheels are nicely finished. I see no reason for Tesla to finish the underlying wheels nicely. Seems to me like this employee saved himself $1500 and then spent a few bucks on powder coating the wheels and getting center caps. Still very helpful to us all because this looks nice, and folks can probably just plastic-dip the unfinished wheels and get center caps for <100 bucks.

Not sure why folks are talking about 'included' and assuming that the wheels are nicely finished. I see no reason for Tesla to finish the underlying wheels nicely. Seems to me like this employee saved himself $1500 and then spent a few bucks on powder coating the wheels and getting center caps. Still very helpful to us all because this looks nice, and folks can probably just plastic-dip the unfinished wheels and get center caps for <100 bucks.
Tesla had to do something to hide the silver stripe. A robot with a sharpie might have worked?

I thought the same.. but the silver "border" around the aero hubcap that was on the RCs is not on the Production cars. So I'm kind of leaning towards "very probably" that they are dark gray underneath (as 22522 so eloquently alluded to)

I also kind of think that center "T" cap may pop out of the aero hubcap and fit into the center of the wheel underneath

IMG_0433.jpg

I thought the same.. but the silver "border" around the aero hubcap that was on the RCs is not on the Production cars. So I'm kind of leaning towards "very probably" that they are dark gray underneath
@tracksyde I agree with you. I think the 18" V-spoke rims seen on the RC cars were very rough, just like panel gaps and other unfinished details. I think the pictures we see here are the final 18" rims, detailed and painted by TESLA. I always did like the design of the RC 18" rims and I like them even better now! Will look great on the car in my avatar! ;) ;) ;)

I also kind of think that center "T" cap may pop out of the aero hubcap and fit into the center of the wheel underneath
I think the "T" cap is threaded into the rim and holds the WC on. I saw a close up of the RC V-spoke rim without a cap and the bore was definitely threaded on the interior. I think if you want to remove the WCs, you just screw the cap into the rim.

Reactions: tracksyde
If these are the stock rims, well I'm excited. The aero covers were only making me wince half-way because they at least were black/grey. These look WAY better than the aeros (IMO) and so I'm trilled at what I see. Now, to some other posters point, I really want to see these rims minus the aero cover on all the paint colors!

Reactions: Bokonon
I would still like to see Tesla give us some efficiency data with the aero wheels vs sport. I'd even like so see how aero covers on vs covers off influences range but I'm not sure we will get that from them.

I hope they have some interactive range calculator soon like they do for the S on the site where you can choose wheels, speed, temp etc and see how range is influenced.

Obviously not a fan of Occam's razor, I see.