Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will not. A 21" wheel on Model 3 would have a 2.7" sidewall, which is just stupid.

Small sidewall word record:
IMG_1174.JPG

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: WarpedOne and Jayc
Sometimes what's said is so outlandish, it is presumed that everyone understands it is in jest, so no ;) is necessary.

Unfortunately, this reasonable assumption becomes less and less reliable as each day passes. OTOH, I am sure there are some very fine people on both sides, on both sides, of the "did we really land on the moon", "was 9/11 an inside job", "did Senior Cruz kill JFK", "was Obama a citizen", is it really ok to grab a woman's &$^@*, and so-on and so-on debates.

Just for the record, I'll include the ;) as well as the :confused: and :eek:

OK, back to the topic of the Aero wheel appearance...:p

Reactions: gambit48 and e-FTW
Unfortunately, this reasonable assumption becomes less and less reliable as each day passes. OTOH, I am sure there are some very fine people on both sides, on both sides, of the "did we really land on the moon", "was 9/11 an inside job", "did Senior Cruz kill JFK", "was Obama a citizen", is it really ok to grab a woman's &$^@*, and so-on and so-on debates.

Just for the record, I'll include the ;) as well as the :confused: and :eek:

OK, back to the topic of the Aero wheel appearance...:p
See i always thought Trump was referencing his thoughts on ww2. The Nazis had a permit France, Austria etc signed off surrendered, they were doing their "thing" over there anti fascists came at them, invaded their personal space! there was violence hatred bigotry on many sides, many sides........;)

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48
That would be a horrible decision from a marketing point. Tesla already has good data that their RWD models can handle snowy conditions better than expected. If they keep it RWD, they can keep that "sporty" angle that all the car mags love and the entire car industry follows along with. Hence, why everyone is chasing the BMW 3 series, the car mags love the Accord and Mazda 6 much more than the better selling Camry, etc. Overall, keeping it RWD was the much smarter move. Particularly if they actually are trying to compete with the BMW 3 series.

The 3 series has fallen as the benchmark for the segment, just saying. The Mazda and the Honda are both FWD, they're better treated in the car magazines because you can have both of them with a manual gearbox. However, the 2018 Accord redesign is getting blasted because the front fascia looks "incomplete", the top-tier 2.0L turbo-4 is weaker than the V6 Camry while still requiring premium fuel, and the infotainment screen has the floating tablet design auto mags and car enthusiasts are tearing their hair out over.

Follow-up question. Do we expect Tesla to sell center caps with the logo for the wheel under the aeros for those who wish to remove the covers? Clearly the dark grey example we saw had them, but the pre-production silver one did not. Just wondering if that's something the senior exec at Tesla was able to secure (or have made custom) for himself, or if they will be readily and easily available.

I'd hate to have to buy a generic or blank cover center cap because I chose to remove my aero covers and Tesla doesn't consider covering the center cap underneath a priority for the Model 3's streamlined process.

Follow-up question. Do we expect Tesla to sell center caps with the logo for the wheel under the aeros for those who wish to remove the covers? Clearly the dark grey example we saw had them, but the pre-production silver one did not. Just wondering if that's something the senior exec at Tesla was able to secure (or have made custom) for himself, or if they will be readily and easily available.
Good question. It may be that the center cap of the aero cover pops out and will fit the wheel.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I'd hate to have to buy a generic or blank cover center cap because I chose to remove my aero covers and Tesla doesn't consider covering the center cap underneath a priority for the Model 3's streamlined process.
What brucet999 states. You would pop off the center cap from the cover and add to the wheel. As far as the actual lug nut caps, I would assume they would be included as well, but possibly not.

There was a similar thread on Tesla reddit or one of the Facebook groups where someone spoke to a Model 3 owner/engineer and it was mentioned that with the aero wheels they were getting 330 miles range. If true, I'll definitely be getting the base aero wheels and will probably leave the cover on. I thought the aero cover was ugly at first. But it's growing on me. And 20 miles more range (almost the same as $100,000 Model S 100D), stock grey color, and $1500 savings makes it almost a no-brainer.