Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here it is! I had a feeling after not seeing the light colored outline around the aero covers that they might have gone with a gray wheel to match and sure enough! Plus it has a center cap with Tesla symbol. Looks pretty nice! Definitely makes the decision to go with the 18's a lot easier for me!

B67y6tY.jpg

If that is what's underneath I think a lot will opt for the aero covers. To me they don't look as bad underneath in the darker color and you have the added ability to remove or apply the aero covers as needed if your taking a long trip and want to increase efficiency. They will probably resist brake dust discoloration better as well.

The Aero wheels are a bare aluminum color, no paint on them. These may be the Aeros, but they have been painted.

Not the best looking wheel, but if it keeps me on 18 inch wheels, saves me the $1500 highway robbery "upgrade" that Tesla offers, plus saves me the $600 or so for cheap aftermarket wheels, I guess I can live with them.

Got to find out what paint color and finishing proceedure this is. I know a paint & body shop that will give me a good deal.

The stock unpainted Aero wheels have a very rough as-cast surface, these look sanded / polished. And the black plastic lug nut caps don't come stock on Aeros, either.

Last edited:
Based on the placement and the appearance of the valve stem, I'm really starting to think these are the real deal. There really wouldn't be much of a reason to put the valve exactly where it is unless it had to be there for the covers.

Just to the right/rear of the valve stem is the "wedge" with the bump on the edge of the rim. Everywhere there is one of those, there is a blade on the aero.

Attachments

• model-3-white-316-tyre.jpg
    model-3-white-316-tyre.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 7hAt4UL.jpg
    7hAt4UL.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 263
The Aero wheels are a bare aluminum color, no paint on them. These may be the Aeros, but they have been painted.

Not the best looking wheel, but if it keeps me on 18 inch wheels, saves me the $1500 highway robbery "upgrade" that Tesla offers, plus saves me the $600 or so for cheap aftermarket wheels, I guess I can live with them.

Got to find out what paint color and finishing proceedure this is. I know a paint & body shop that will give me a good deal.

The stock unpainted Aero wheels have a very rough as-cast surface, these look sanded / polished.

I think your confusing RC aero wheels with production aero wheels.

The stock unpainted Aero wheels have a very rough as-cast surface, these look sanded / polished. And the black plastic lug nut caps don't come stock on Aeros, either.

Those were RC's. These are production. I think they look great. Anyone ordering the base wheels will have 2 choices. Very cool. BTW $1500 upgrade for quality 19" wheels WITH 19" tires over the 18's is not highway robbery.