Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation re: next major Model S upgrade announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla said "no refresh" but there'a a lot of miscommunication and lack of communication there. I would still suspect a light refresh consisting of new front and rear fascias and LED headlights. I wonder if they would offer a new wheel also, perhaps a 20"?

Love the discussion here.

One misperception I keep reading here:
It's not mystifying if you think of it as buying a computer product rather than a traditional car. When improved components are ready they're incorporated into the product. If Tesla announced the roadmap you described the sales would drop to nothing waiting for it. Remember Tesla is build to order. Google "Osborne effect".
This isn't quite right. With the sort-of-exception of Apple (more on that in a sec), computer road maps have been pre-released years in advance. (Try googling "Intel product roadmap.") Even Apple has a pretty regular product refresh cycle. We don't always know exactly what's going to be new, but we do know well ahead of time that there's going to be a new product worth waiting a bit for.

Really though that wasn't the point of the OP (me) when starting the thread. Rather it was: Tesla clearly isn't pre releasing any information. So instead the best we have is a light hearted fun speculation thread like this!

LED headlights....hmmm, that might be my top vote so far.

Love the discussion here.

One misperception I keep reading here:

This isn't quite right. With the sort-of-exception of Apple (more on that in a sec), computer road maps have been pre-released years in advance. (Try googling "Intel product roadmap.") Even Apple has a pretty regular product refresh cycle. We don't always know exactly what's going to be new, but we do know well ahead of time that there's going to be a new product worth waiting a bit for.

Really though that wasn't the point of the OP (me) when starting the thread. Rather it was: Tesla clearly isn't pre releasing any information. So instead the best we have is a light hearted fun speculation thread like this!

I've seen a lot of speculation the Model X has LED headlights, but I haven't seen any solid confirmation. In any case, the easiest things to move from the Model X to S are things that can just be bolted on. The Model S would probably require the headlight housing to be redesigned for LEDs, so if it does get LEDs, it will be a while. The easiest thing to port to the Model S is probably the 72 A charger. There isn't much else that can be moved without some redesign work.

Thanks for clarifying. I like that direction for this topic. It reminds me of the days when TMC first start speculating in depth about what became Powerwall.

Pretty sure we will see a new front, LED headlights, air filter. Question is how soon? If they want to meet 2015 delivery goals, will have to announce ASAP.

I'm holding for now. I think the new windshield may make its way over also.... :)

I don't think we will see the front end, nor the windshield on the Model S. The windshield will not fit as is on the Model S, it would require an entire new windshield part to fit the Model S.

I don't think we will see the front end, nor the windshield on the Model S. The windshield will not fit as is on the Model S, it would require an entire new windshield part to fit the Model S.

I agree about the windshield. The Model S has the panoramic roof instead. I think a new front and change to the rear lights are sometime in the future. When is anyone's guess. The design studio has a lot of work to do to get a prototype for the Model 3 out in March. Sometime after that will be a good time for the Model S refresh. May-June 2016 would have good timing.

Does anyone not remember what Elon said at the P85D launch last year? He specifically said there would be no major changes to Model S until Fall of 2015. Now since then there have been some changes like 70 and 90 batteries, ludicrous upgrade, LTE and executive seats. He apparently doesn't consider these changes as significant. I believe that we will see a significant change this fall as he claimed. I'm hoping this change will be the incorporation of Model X goodies into the Model S like removal of nose cone, upgraded processor, more powerful charger, maybe new wheels and improved autopilot. Of course since it's "Elon Time" these changes won't actually occur until early 2016. My WAG.

If I ordered my model S in November with a February delivery but they started making a new model in January do you get the new model automatically?

Maybe.

If the production changeover happens before your VIN starts down the assembly line then the answer is Yes.

If the production changeover happens after your VIN starts down the assembly line then the answer is No.

Possibly, it depends, maybe...

I suspect that they would already know they were going to change at the time of order in November. You can't make significant changes overnight, so months of planning would be required. And since it would already be known, they would only advertise the new version for sale.

For example, I ordered my 70D (right-hand drive) in April, but the first RHD 70Ds did not commence construction until September.

Not just a new part: a completely new structure to the car. The entire top of the car has to be built around that giant piece of glass: there's no A-crossbeam to strengthen the vehicle.

Personally, I don't see the appeal. Yeah, it's pretty, but at the cost of a lot of functionality: no sun roof, no remote venting, weird sun shades, overly complex engineering (the main structure running front-to-back must be even thicker than the pano roof, right?).

I doubt it'll ever come to the Model S. I believe the one and only reason the Model X has that windshield is because you cannot have a pano roof on the Model X, due to the falcon wing doors. Basically, they concealed the fact that you can't get a sunroof, even if you want to pay for it, by putting in that big piece of glass.

Does anyone not remember what Elon said at the P85D launch last year? He specifically said there would be no major changes to Model S until Fall of 2015. Now since then there have been some changes like 70 and 90 batteries, ludicrous upgrade, LTE and executive seats. He apparently doesn't consider these changes as significant. I believe that we will see a significant change this fall as he claimed. I'm hoping this change will be the incorporation of Model X goodies into the Model S like removal of nose cone, upgraded processor, more powerful charger, maybe new wheels and improved autopilot. Of course since it's "Elon Time" these changes won't actually occur until early 2016. My WAG.

What Elon said at the P85D launch also was before they realized just how far behind they were on the X. I think a lot of the releases we saw earlier in 2015 (70D, new battery packs) were probably scheduled for later, but they needed to fill the year with sales once they realized that the X wouldn't be shipping in mass numbers during FY2015.

If early on you know you aren't going to make your numbers, you push sales hard and fast while you can to get every last one possible.

Not just a new part: a completely new structure to the car. The entire top of the car has to be built around that giant piece of glass: there's no A-crossbeam to strengthen the vehicle.

Personally, I don't see the appeal. Yeah, it's pretty, but at the cost of a lot of functionality: no sun roof, no remote venting, weird sun shades, overly complex engineering (the main structure running front-to-back must be even thicker than the pano roof, right?).

I doubt it'll ever come to the Model S. I believe the one and only reason the Model X has that windshield is because you cannot have a pano roof on the Model X, due to the falcon wing doors. Basically, they concealed the fact that you can't get a sunroof, even if you want to pay for it, by putting in that big piece of glass.

That's what I meant by a new windshield, not only a new part, but restructure the car to fit it in there.

Personally I think sun roofs are very over rated. I've never wanted one, though I'm only considering it when I get my Model S because of the better head room and the ability to attach a roof rack (which I may need occasionally).

If they had wanted to on the Model X, they could probably of put in some kind of small roof window above the front seats without making the front windshield gigantic.

If they had wanted to on the Model X, they could probably of put in some kind of small roof window above the front seats without making the front windshield gigantic.

I think the like or dislike for a sunroof has a lot to do with the weather you live in. Where we live, we get lots of days where the temperature outside is perfect, so I love opening the sunroof.

A sunroof might not be for everyone, but I stand by the fact that they cannot put one on the X due to the falcon wing doors. There's no place for it to go. Even the smallest sun roof needs to extend back nearly 2x it's length, so you could only have a tiny sliver of a sunroof, which would look stupid and sort of defeat the purpose.

What Elon said at the P85D launch also was before they realized just how far behind they were on the X. I think a lot of the releases we saw earlier in 2015 (70D, new battery packs) were probably scheduled for later, but they needed to fill the year with sales once they realized that the X wouldn't be shipping in mass numbers during FY2015.

If early on you know you aren't going to make your numbers, you push sales hard and fast while you can to get every last one possible.

100% agree. IMO the intention was that the X would arrive before Autopilot, before Dual Motors on the S, before the 70 and 90kWh batteries, before new cell chemistry, and definitely before any "ludicrous fuse" upgrades. All this stuff was filler while the X timetable slipped and slipped and slipped.