Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Second-hand report of ball joint broken after parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The author of this thread took this story and pictures from another website which was never disclosed.
So is there a link somewhere? There are many here that can read Chinese (and there is also the good old Google translate). Never heard of this being an issue in the US (or any other country). Road conditions may be bad there, but there are plenty of places in the US that have lots of potholes also.

Here's the link

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-49476291-1.html

The original main text of the post has been edited to "123456789!" by OP, but the replies and his replies to those are still in there. It made quite a fuzz on the forum and stirred a bit of doubt against Tesla, some considered canceling their orders. But now, those replied feel like being used by OP as leverage for his own interest in this case.

So is there a link somewhere? There are many here that can read Chinese (and there is also the good old Google translate). Never heard of this being an issue in the US (or any other country). Road conditions may be bad there, but there are plenty of places in the US that have lots of potholes also.

Hard to believe that with billions of miles on Model S's now and this issue NEVER coming up before, suddenly there's a design flaw from a car that is now over a year old, and nobody else has encountered. I don't believe it for a minute.

Just think: Just as many Model S's have been struck by lightning while Supercharging than have experienced this alleged problem.

It's possible this one part had a manufacturing flaw, or an assembly problem, but not a design flaw.

What has happened here is someone has done something to damage the car and they're trying to scam compensation from Tesla. That's why it's posted here. There is a culture of this in China.

It did sound strange that we have never heard of this happening in the US where there are many more cars and miles driven. Not to mention for a company that would intitiate recall with a single case of seat belt did not buckle Tesla certainly would have taken actions if there is such problem.

Last edited:
I see you are a new TMC member. It sounds like you are not a Tesla owner, and you are passing on stories you have heard. At this point I do not believe what you describe has happened. It is not plausible that a steering joint could break while the vehicle was being parked. There are no reports of this happening in other countries.
One of the first ModelS owners in China just had one of the cardan joints cracked completely during stall parking. It is unthinkable if this happens when the vehicle is moving at high speed. Tesla service center then replaced all 4 cardan joints and responded that 'the cardan joints were improved in 2015'.

In China a couple of owners (delivered in 2014) experienced similar issue. Some owners claim that if the steering wheel is pushed to extreme, they will hear loud noise coming from wheels and the car would be bumping up and down like a boat in waves.

Those who have been following this thread may notice that its title has been altered extensively; it now reads to reflect best-available knowledge about the purported situation.

I see you are a new TMC member. It sounds like you are not a Tesla owner, and you are passing on stories you have heard. At this point I do not believe what you describe has happened. It is not plausible that a steering joint could break while the vehicle was being parked. There are no reports of this happening in other countries.

Thanks for the moderator to update the title and content: I still don't have access to the edit feature.

I am a new TMC member. And I made it clear that I am currently not an owner, and the issue described is from someone else's post on a Chinese forum. I also clearly stated that I do not have any evidence on whether this is a unique case or a design issue, or, like some replies hinted, a scam. This issue has no impact on my current order of 70D confirmed in last December since all content in the original post pointed out the issue is only with 2014 makes, but would impact my faith on the company which so many owners in China were believing and actively promoting, if it turns out to be irresponsible just like many other companies.

I do not intend to make you believe anything. And you, including a few people in this thread showing me how arrogant and ignorance are spelled, are not that important.

My intention is quite simple. I posted it to check if anyone here is experiencing similar issue. If someone here is also seeing the symptoms described, it could be an early warning to avoid more severe issue, or at least potential inconveniences for them. If this is a common issue, then Tesla headquarter needs to be alerted.