TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Speculation: Tesla will pre-payment of Model 3 to raise capital.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Oct 14, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

With Elon's comments about not needing to raise any additional capital, my conclusion is that Tesla will offer all Model 3 reservation holders the opportunity to put down $50,000 now (soon) to buy a fully loaded Model 3 once it is in production. The $50,000 would also jump buyers to the front of the production queue and allow first delivery.

Only 10,000 people putting money down would raise $0.5 Billion.

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Sounds a lot like a Signature Model 3 plan...

:cool:

• Like x 2
  3. mhan00

mhan00 Member

I have a hard time believing a loaded Model 3 would be only 50k. 500 million is also a mere drop in the bucket given Tesla's burn rate.

• Like x 1
  4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

No way a fully loaded model 3 would only be 50K. Elon said they weren't going to do a signature reservation, which is basically what you're proposing.

If they did, they should have done it when they first started taking reservations. Doing it now would leave a bad taste for those who waited in line.

• Like x 1
  5. Deicer

Deicer New Member

This might be a possibility and I'd consider getting a signature edition if they made this offer.

His comments could also mean:

They could get financing based on the number of reservations.
    They were profitable last quarter.

• Like x 1
  6. electracity

electracity Active Member

I don't think they want regular customers at the front of the queue. Building employee cars first is safer.

• Like x 2
  7. James Anders

James Anders Member

That would be a mistake in my opinion. Particularly since this is a mass market vehicle. Time to stop "crowdfunding".

• Like x 1
  8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Why would he do that when: 1) He's already said he wouldn't; and 2) The amount for a Model S or Model X Signature Edition was $40,000 up front -- kind of 'EViL' to request $50,000 up front for the 'affordable' car in any configuration. How's this for an idea: Believe the actual words that came out of his face instead of forming a 'conclusion' that is the complete opposite of it.

• Like x 2
  9. No2DinosaurFuel

W
    Well musk says a lot of things. You just have to pick and choose what you think is reality. Anyone who owns a tesla knows how it is a compromise everywhere. But I knew this ahead of time going in and I have no regrets on my model S purchase. But if you took musk for face value you would be sorely disappointed.

But back to the subject at hand. It is possible. Maybe not $50K but maybe $20K. And this will not be a signature. Just a way to get in front of the queue. Musk can argue this is not signature version because it won't be. Any no one can fault him for it.

Finally a fully loaded Model 3 will probably run around $70K IMO.

10. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

This is the part where I try really hard not to insult you at the very least and cuss you out like someone (my Mom) who taught a course in English as a Profane Language to Longshoremen at worst.

No. Not gonna happen. Forget it.

11. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I still hold out a faint hope that the "line waiter" gift is the option to order an (extra cost) special color :D

12. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

He's got my reservation deposit, which is all he gets until he's ready to fork over the car.

• Like x 1
  13. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Funny. I guess I'm relegated to the back of the line again, even though I own a Model S. When will the pain end.....