TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Speculation: Website update coming

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Trips, May 2, 2018.

1. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I noticed today that when I go into "start designing" I am no longer able to and get the below page. Could they be getting ready for an update after the earnings report? I noticed this on my desktop using Firefox and IE.

Manage.JPG

2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

They’re releasing the SR version!!

• Funny x 3
  3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I dont get that page, I get the normal design page to build LR fully loaded or Hold my place option.

4. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

I got that same page. After about 30 mins it went back to the normal design studio. Didn't notice anything different.

5. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

No. That's not usually how pages are updated/replaced. They develop and test the new pages/functionality behind the scenes and then swap it out all at once. They don't take down perfectly good pages to put up some intermediate, non-functional page, as a place holder. They haven't done it with any other updates so I don't expect they'll start now.

6. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

They often do A/B testing on new pages. Not everyone will see the new stuff for a while. For 2 months, one of my household computers saw one website (new design) while others saw another. now all of them see the new one.

7. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

Sounds like blue/green testing in the cloud...So, not all will see this... They are definitely messing with the page :) Although... could it be to delay the estimates? :(

8. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I saw the same thing with the estimator for roughly 30 minutes, then it went back to normal. Guessing it was just a problem with the site and not all of the content was loading.

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Maybe in real grown-up companies that's something they do. Not at Tesla.

Yup, they've done that before.

Yes they have, many times. There are a few egregious instances where a test page was loaded on the production site before they were intended to be loaded or released, but then quickly (within a few hours) taken back down. That would never happen with a test->staging->production type process.

I don't remember when, but Tesla also leaked/released a new Model S/X design studio page to be much like the Model 3 page. It was clearly unfinished and put up for beta testing. I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere about it. If they wanted to beta test an all-new design studio page, they surely didn't need to do it in production visible to the entire world.

They also do staggered releases based on some attribute like with the CPO/Inventory pages. For quite a while, both the old and new pages were displayed to different users.