Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

speculations - what will M3 do to MS used market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In searching for a used Model S I've realized that many of the cars I've found have similar or less rated mileage than the Model 3 for a little more than the Model 3 prices. Yes, I know it is possible to buy a used car NOW and not have to wait but my question is in a year or 2 when the Model 3s become more common and quicker to purchase, what do you think will happen to the used car market for the Model S? Specifically some 2015/2016s with autopilot 1. I'm wondering what advantage they'd still have over a new Model 3 other than a being a little larger and possible unlimited supercharging.

Thoughts?

Yeah that's true or any used car. I'm more curious to know if people think the resale of the MS, even ones currently coming off the line, will plummet below even a base M3 once they become common. Could a current $100,000 car with similar tech of a $40-50k car in 2 years be resold for far under the M3 new price?

I'm wondering what advantage they'd still have over a new Model 3 other than a being a little larger and possible unlimited supercharging.

Thoughts?
If those are the only two differences between the models that matters to you, then there won't be much of an advantage. but i think most people look at the two models as being further apart than interior space and free supercharging.

They are very different vehicles filling different needs. I think the biggest hurt to resell value of any Tesla including the Model 3 will be a redesign, autopilot upgrade, new battery technology or some new feature. If you are worried about the value I would recommend leasing.

Reactions: Olds442
I think the inevitable overhaul of the Model S that is surely coming (to further differentiate it as an upgrade from the 3) will have a bigger impact on resale value of current S/X than the introduction of the 3 will have.

While some people do some major financial stretching to get into an S or X and would love to get into a 3, the majority of people in the market for a mid/large $80K-$150K luxury car have very little interest in a $35K-$60K "economy" car.

In searching for a used Model S I've realized that many of the cars I've found have similar or less rated mileage than the Model 3 for a little more than the Model 3 prices. Yes, I know it is possible to buy a used car NOW and not have to wait but my question is in a year or 2 when the Model 3s become more common and quicker to purchase, what do you think will happen to the used car market for the Model S? Specifically some 2015/2016s with autopilot 1. I'm wondering what advantage they'd still have over a new Model 3 other than a being a little larger and possible unlimited supercharging.

Thoughts?

This is a difficult one to predict and will depend largely on the Model 3 ramp up and how reliable the early Model 3s turn out to be. Best case scenario will mean higher depreciation for used MS, worst case will mean Model S and X will hold their value well. If MS revision 2 turns out to be significant that will have some effect but my guess is if you are the sort of person who goes for a car like Model S, it is more likely you will be happy to splash out for a new Model S.

I doubt the Model 3 will have any impact on the price of a used Model S. They are targeted at different markets. I could have purchased a Model S at any time since they became available, but they are way too large. Granted a Model 3 is larger than our Kia, it is still smaller and more maneuverable than an S. Given that we will have to back a Tesla (to hook up the power) off of a busy road, down a steep driveway, with a hedge on one side and a MB van on the other, size matters.