Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculators speculate! Monthly subscription for Autopilot eventually?

Will Tesla offer autopilot on a monthly paid basis?

• Yes

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 88 87.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I'm not buying autopilot on my 3. Too much money for something I don't think will help me much. It's bad enough I'm already being forced into overpaying by $14,000 for a big battery and "luxury" interior crap I don't need.

But I wonder if Tesla will eventually offer autopilot ability as a monthly paid subscription plan, to draw more money out of people. They like to do that. Some people will try it and not buy, in which case Tesla gets more money, and some people will try it and like it, and order the autopilot upgrade, in which case Tesla gets MORE money.

If that were the case I might try it, but I doubt I'd buy the whole thing. Too much money for someone to remotely change a 0 to a 1 in my car's computer. What's that? I'm paying for all the R&D that went into making autopilot? That's not my problem. I didn't ask them to do it.

Maybe it'll be a 1 month free trial, or $100 per month for as long as you like, or something similar.

Start speculating. Think Tesla will do this maybe later this year, once the production is more figured out and not as big an issue?

Too much money for someone to remotely change a 0 to a 1 in my car's computer. What's that? I'm paying for all the R&D that went into making autopilot? That's not my problem. I didn't ask them to do it.
You're right. You didn't ask them to do it.

And if they want to charge for all the R&D that went into developing it, you not wanting to pay for it is not their problem. :)

No autopilot for you!

I'm not buying autopilot on my 3. Too much money for something I don't think will help me much. It's bad enough I'm already being forced into overpaying by $14,000 for a big battery and "luxury" interior crap I don't need.
No one is forcing you to pay for a larger battery than you want, or the upgraded interior. Buy another car. Please.

But I wonder if Tesla will eventually offer autopilot ability as a monthly paid subscription plan, to draw more money out of people. They like to do that. Some people will try it and not buy, in which case Tesla gets more money, and some people will try it and like it, and order the autopilot upgrade, in which case Tesla gets MORE money.

If that were the case I might try it, but I doubt I'd buy the whole thing. Too much money for someone to remotely change a 0 to a 1 in my car's computer. What's that? I'm paying for all the R&D that went into making autopilot? That's not my problem. I didn't ask them to do it.

Maybe it'll be a 1 month free trial, or $100 per month for as long as you like, or something similar.

Start speculating. Think Tesla will do this maybe later this year, once the production is more figured out and not as big an issue?
You certainly could wait and get it later when they offer more options. The premium cost is to get it sooner then later. I got the S last year and went with the 75D because the 100D was 20k more. Had the 100D been 9K more I would have gotten it. I think you will be happy you got the big battery but not so sure about the premium package (not sure what is in it). Also, I think the big battery will certainly help with the resell price down the road. Regarding the EAP/FSD. I do not think it will be a subscription. For me there is absolutely no way I would have gotten a Tesla without EAP. I also got FSD but I could understand someone not getting that just yet. What I would like to see is an option to take EAP/FSD with you if you decide to buy a New Tesla. Especially FSD. I plan to keep my car for at least 5 years (kept last 2 for 13 and still have 1 of them) so not really worried. But for those that lease for say 3 years there is a good chance that the lease will run out before getting much (if any) benefit from FSD.

Reactions: ZappCatt
I really don't see the monthly fee. Someday I could see it becoming standard on all cars, included in the base price, but I don't think the monthly approach has enough benefits to Tesla to justify the drawbacks.

Have you tried autopilot and determined that it's something you wouldn't like, or is it sticker shock? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never spoken with anyone who has tried autopilot and didn't want it.

Believe it or not, my issue with Autopilot is not about the price. Yes, I actually said that!!! :eek:

Two reasons for me:

1. I simply don't feel that I need autopilot. It might be neat to try out for a while, but I don't think I'd use it often enough. A lot of my driving takes place above the speed limit, whatever the limit may be on whatever road I am on at the moment, and autopilot wouldn't drive the car right for me.

2. I simply don't trust it to drive for me.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

OP is reminds me of someone going through the states of grief - in this case the BARGAINING

He's in denial he would ever get ripped off by Tesla but decides to get ripped off anyway.
He's angry about the money being taken from his account and angry about signing the loan papers.

He's realizing that Tesla has the most bad ass driver assistance package in the market by a long shot and his car comes with the capability.
He just needs to pay for it, which he doesn't want to do.

So he's bargaining for a cheaper way in.

LMAO

Have you tried autopilot and determined that it's something you wouldn't like, or is it sticker shock? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never spoken with anyone who has tried autopilot and didn't want it.

Clearly we have never met. I drove a Model S with autopilot and do not want it. I am a very conservative driver with an IT background. My last accident (hitting a deer when a group of six bolted single file out of bushes across a narrow road) happened over 30 years ago and AP would not have helped. I would be more fatigued by driving when constantly watching for AP to make a mistake than I would be driving without it. If a free trial was offered I might try it, but doubt I would change my mind.

Believe it or not, my issue with Autopilot is not about the price. Yes, I actually said that!!! :eek:

Two reasons for me:

1. I simply don't feel that I need autopilot. It might be neat to try out for a while, but I don't think I'd use it often enough. A lot of my driving takes place above the speed limit, whatever the limit may be on whatever road I am on at the moment, and autopilot wouldn't drive the car right for me.

Dude, your loan amount doesn't allow you to finance that option. Don't play the "I can afford it but just don't trust it" card..

• Funny
Reactions: NOLADriver

This exactly describes my feelings for AP at the moment. While I still have my faculties (mental and physical), I think that I can drive the car better than the current level of AP/FSD software. In 10-15 years from now when I'm reaching my mid-70s, and assuming that TSLA is still around, then maybe I'll reconsider enabling it if I think I need it. And no I won't balk at the 'extra' cost to activate it then, over what I could have paid when configuring the car. Of course by that time the hardware that's in the car now may not be up to the then-current standards required for an even higher capable implementation of FSD. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

OP is reminds me of someone going through the states of grief - in this case the BARGAINING

He's in denial he would ever get ripped off by Tesla but decides to get ripped off anyway.
He's angry about the money being taken from his account and angry about signing the loan papers.

He's realizing that Tesla has the most bad ass driver assistance package in the market by a long shot and his car comes with the capability.
He just needs to pay for it, which he doesn't want to do.

So he's bargaining for a cheaper way in.

LMAO

Uh, no, Dr. Freud. Even if I could have gotten a $35K base 3 I still wouldn't buy the autopilot, because as I said before, I don't trust it. If it can drive the car BUT you have to constantly monitor it and keep your hands on the wheel, then that's not really self driving, is it?

When it gets to the point that you can get in the car, press the "go to work" button, put the seat back, go back to sleep, and wake up when the car pulls into your parking space at work, THEN it'll be self driving. We aren't even close to that yet.

As for cost, I figure I've got a good year after I get mine. Enough people with more money than brains are far enough back in the reservation queue that I should be able to get sticker price, or close to it. Once I get mine, I'll reserve another, and by the time I get to the front of that line, the true $35K base model should be available. Then I should be able to get it while at least breaking even, if not making a mild profit.

If you haven't used it, don't knock it. We drove from southern Loudoun County, Virginia to the Supercharger at Hagerstown, Maryland (at the mall there) and back just to test out that my X could supercharge (and for an outing). I think I actually drove for three miles. Yes, I had to take over a couple of times, at roundabouts and a couple of other times.

But the sheer relaxation from not having to watch the speed, the cars, the lines, and every little thing 100% of the time was so great that is was the first three hour drive (round trip) ever where I got home and didn't feel stressed out.

There is a lot of difference between old-fashioned driving and now "supervising" a current AP2.5 (or 2.0) car.

This was with 2018.10.4, and I felt one of the major reasons for getting the car was AP (next to a great EV, of course).

Personally, and, no offense, I can't see getting a Tesla and not getting EAP. YMMV, of course, and to each their own.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Uh, no, Dr. Freud. Even if I could have gotten a $35K base 3 I still wouldn't buy the autopilot, because as I said before, I don't trust it. If it can drive the car BUT you have to constantly monitor it and keep your hands on the wheel, then that's not really self driving, is it?

When it gets to the point that you can get in the car, press the "go to work" button, put the seat back, go back to sleep, and wake up when the car pulls into your parking space at work, THEN it'll be self driving. We aren't even close to that yet.

As for cost, I figure I've got a good year after I get mine. Enough people with more money than brains are far enough back in the reservation queue that I should be able to get sticker price, or close to it. Once I get mine, I'll reserve another, and by the time I get to the front of that line, the true $35K base model should be available. Then I should be able to get it while at least breaking even, if not making a mild profit.

Right, you have lots of Tesla Autopilot experience.

It's not FULLY self driving yes, and it does require good judgment but I've done LA -> Vegas and back driving maybe 10 miles manually the entire trip.

This was from using early 2017 AP software.

If you haven't used it, don't knock it. We drove from southern Loudoun County, Virginia to the Supercharger at Hagerstown, Maryland (at the mall there) and back just to test out that my X could supercharge (and for an outing). I think I actually drove for three miles. Yes, I had to take over a couple of times, at roundabouts and a couple of other times.

But the sheer relaxation from not having to watch the speed, the cars, the lines, and every little thing 100% of the time was so great that is was the first three hour drive (round trip) ever where I got home and didn't feel stressed out.

There is a lot of difference between old-fashioned driving and now "supervising" a current AP2.5 (or 2.0) car.

This was with 2018.10.4, and I felt one of the major reasons for getting the car was AP (next to a great EV, of course).

Personally, and, no offense, I can't see getting a Tesla and not getting EAP. YMMV, of course, and to each their own.

Those who know, know.

Those who don't, don't.

Having some help to reduce fatigue, and keep you safer when fatigued. Can't put a price on that.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
This exactly describes my feelings for AP at the moment. While I still have my faculties (mental and physical), I think that I can drive the car better than the current level of AP/FSD software. In 10-15 years from now when I'm reaching my mid-70s, and assuming that TSLA is still around, then maybe I'll reconsider enabling it if I think I need it. And no I won't balk at the 'extra' cost to activate it then, over what I could have paid when configuring the car. Of course by that time the hardware that's in the car now may not be up to the then-current standards required for an even higher capable implementation of FSD. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Yes. Just about everyone except my wife can drive better than AP currently if you are alert and attentive.

Humans > AP
Humans + AP > Humans without AP.

Just need to know how to properly leverage the tool. Use it to free up the 100% focus needed on foot position, hand position, tunnel vision, etc.

The ability to step back, take a wider view of the conditions and reducing fatigue makes me a safer driver WITH EAP than without.

@boaterva - I'm sure knows what I'm talking about.

Yes. Just about everyone except my wife can drive better than AP currently if you are alert and attentive.

Humans > AP
Humans + AP > Humans without AP.

Just need to know how to properly leverage the tool. Use it to free up the 100% focus needed on foot position, hand position, tunnel vision, etc.

The ability to step back, take a wider view of the conditions and reducing fatigue makes me a safer driver WITH EAP than without.

@boaterva - I'm sure knows what I'm talking about.

If you are not alert and attentive, you shouldn't be driving with or without AP.

If you are not alert and attentive, you shouldn't be driving with or without AP.

Thank you captain obvious.

My point is you don’t have the same level of alertness at all points of a long drive.

Pulling over and sleeping is not practical for all situations.

There’s a reason why they have recommendations like turning up the radio, singing along, rolling the window down etc because people have lapses in attention.

You need to focus the best you can anyway but AP will pretty much keep you from rest ending that car in front of you, or drifting across lanes.

Tesla isn’t a solution looking for a problem. Every other auto tries to have some kind of lane keep assist or cruise control but they don’t hardly work at all compared to Tesla. Not at 80mph for sure.