Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speech recognition worse with 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hacer

Apr 13, 2016
Clarksville, MD
Before 8.0 my Tesla virtually never made any errors with voice commands. Now with 8.0 it usually fails to recognize the command words e.g. "drive to" or "play" and isn't as good with the rest either. Before 8.0 I was blown away with the accuracy - it was better than Siri and Google. Now it's worse.Is anybody else experiencing this?

I have to agree, voice recognition seems to lag significantly. I have also noticed that my cellular connection lags on startup and takes over a minute to connect to the network, my streaming music cuts in and out every few minutes, and my maps fail to update every so often.

Before 8.0 my Tesla virtually never made any errors with voice commands. Now with 8.0 it usually fails to recognize the command words e.g. "drive to" or "play" and isn't as good with the rest either. Before 8.0 I was blown away with the accuracy - it was better than Siri and Google. Now it's worse.Is anybody else experiencing this?

The new one seems to use an online service to completely transcribe the whole contents. The old one seemed to recognize what you said offline against a small subset of key words that could be commands.

I think it's a trade off which way works better. This way can adapt better to accents and improve better with time because it can leverage unlimited cloud compute resources (or, say, a licensing agreement with Nuance or someone else with more speech expertise). The old way guaranteed mapping what you said onto a command.

(As an aside: I had a 2008 Chrysler where if I pressed the button and made mumbling sounds, it'd say "Calling Towing Assistance". To this day, I can't decide whether that was a feature or bug.)

The new one seems to use an online service to completely transcribe the whole contents. The old one seemed to recognize what you said offline against a small subset of key words that could be commands.

I think it's a trade off which way works better. This way can adapt better to accents and improve better with time because it can leverage unlimited cloud compute resources (or, say, a licensing agreement with Nuance or someone else with more speech expertise). The old way guaranteed mapping what you said onto a command.

That might be true for the "command" part, but it used to be incredible at recognizing the destination name, song title or artist. For me it was astonishingly good at correctly recognizing esoteric words - even ones that sounded sort of like other more common words. Now, not so much and it often fails to recognize the command words "drive" and "play". I'm going to experiment with waiting a second or so after the visual indicator shows its listening before speaking to see if that is mostly related to lag like @macbeth suggested.

Personally I've found 8.0 to work better than 7.1 for me. Both in terms of recognizing my voice and doing semi intelligent things. (Before I've said Navigate to McDonald's and it literally puts "to McDonald's" in the search field and then finds no results)

Totally agree. It's way worse... Doesn't pick up destinations, doesn't call people I tell it to, takes multiple tries, doesn't call up the right songs, and it's slower. Apart from the better regen and autopilot, 8.0 absolutely sucks.

Reactions: TaoJones
Given the small set of initial command words, it's kind of hard to believe how bad it is at recognizing them, even when said
loudly with ex-a-ger-a-ted e-nun-ci-a-tion :(. It seems like it does better on the seemingly much harder task of recognizing
the arbitrary words in song titles and band names.

"Drive to Inagadadavida" ;)

Worse voice recognition but a better search behind the voice if it actually recognizes it.

My 3 kids find it hysterical that I keep asking the car to play something and correcting it when it asks if I want to call Steve Jones at 555-...or drive to somewhere.

My prior Jeep would constantly switch the language to French if I asked it to do anything so the Tesla isn't that bad.

Mine works wirelessly for the first two weeks I own the car. Then I upgraded to 8.0, and started to notice it wouldn't respond unless I rebooted. Now it often fails completely, even when shouting at it. Occasionally, if I just say the command and wait for it to recognize it. (like saying the word navigate), it will work.

Definitely messed up. That's my technical evaluation and I'm sticking to it..

I DO like that it will auto dial a contact it recognizes straight away, without having to push anything on the touchscreen.

Hoping for a fix soon. No, let me re-state that - a fix within 2 weeks (soon on this forum can mean never!)