Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed adjustment when using autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going from a model 3 to model X and on the model 3 when using autopilot I could adjust the speed by rolling the right hand scroll wheel. On the model X this is not listed for the right scroll wheel. Is there another method to manually adjust speed? Thanks

Yes, the "AP stick" moves in multiple directions, and you'l find that moving it in those directions produces varying results. Up generally increases the speed, and down generally decreases the speed. There are exceptions, so pay attention when using it.

curious how often you adjust your speed? i just set my max and i rarely adjust
You didn't ask me, but I have to adjust mine every day during my normal commute because it adjusts up for an incorrect GPS speed limit where it is treating an Interstate/StateHwy unmerge (in the opposite direction, they merge, but in this direction, you continue on the normal/legacy route) as an off-ramp. I would also need to adjust it an additional 3-4 times per 13 mile trip for multiple speed limit changes on this particular partially-limited-access divided highway if I wanted to drive faster and avoid speeding tickets.

You didn't ask me, but I have to adjust mine every day during my normal commute because it adjusts up for an incorrect GPS speed limit where it is treating an Interstate/StateHwy unmerge (in the opposite direction, they merge, but in this direction, you continue on the normal/legacy route) as an off-ramp. I would also need to adjust it an additional 3-4 times per 13 mile trip for multiple speed limit changes on this particular partially-limited-access divided highway if I wanted to drive faster and avoid speeding tickets.

that makes sense. if you don't want to keep clicking up or down you can always just speed up/slow down and re-set the cruise control speed.

You can also hold the stalk up or down, it mostly works like legacy manufacturers' cruise control systems (including their TACC systems) but has a few quirks compared to them.

a few quirks? are we talking about the stalk, or tesla as a whole? ;)

so i was testing this last night coming home but i think you can hard press down to reset your speed to the speed limit. then hard press up and it sets cruise control to your current speed. maybe i was just getting lucky and hitting the values though

a few quirks? are we talking about the stalk, or tesla as a whole? ;)

so i was testing this last night coming home but i think you can hard press down to reset your speed to the speed limit. then hard press up and it sets cruise control to your current speed. maybe i was just getting lucky and hitting the values though
yes, yes we are.

What you are describing sounds like the exceptions I was referring to, and I think the actions are context sensitive. Legacy manufacturer cruise control systems have a variety of functions that sometimes share buttons, but are generally not context sensitive. Besides On/Off, which determines whether or not any of the other buttons will do anything, the four most common are Accel (increase speed), Decel (reduce speed), Set (make setting your current speed), and Resume (turn cruise back on at the previously set speed). The only outlier that I know of was Cancel (stop cruising), which technically exists in all vehicles if you count the brake pedal, but sometimes has a separate button. When functions are paired, it is usually Accel/Resume, Decel/Set, and/or Set/Resume. I think there were more rudimentary systems in the 50s and/or 60s, but I don't have any experience with them. Legacy manufacturer cruise control systems provided very smooth functionality prior to drive-by-wire and TACC. To the best of my knowledge, in spite of claims to the contrary, Tesla is the only consumer auto manufacturer to make TACC the only form available (in every non-Tesla make and model I've seen through at least model year 2019, it has always been possible to use "standard" cruise mode even when TACC is equipped).

As I was telling my dad, who just ordered a MY, the car tracks speed limit signs and offers to preset the cruise to <speed limit +/- a fixed offset> or <speed limit +/- a relative percentage> right up to the moment you engage cruise. At that moment, the cruise speed stops changing automatically UNLESS you're in AP, you're not on a highway, and the speed limit drops, BECAUSE the AP will only do 5 over on non-highways. On the highway it ignores speed limit changes in either direction once cruise (or cruise+steer) is on, and off the highway it ignores upward speed limit changes once cruise (or cruise+steer) is on.

As I was telling my dad, who just ordered a MY, the car tracks speed limit signs and offers to preset the cruise to <speed limit +/- a fixed offset> or <speed limit +/- a relative percentage> right up to the moment you engage cruise. At that moment, the cruise speed stops changing automatically UNLESS you're in AP, you're not on a highway, and the speed limit drops, BECAUSE the AP will only do 5 over on non-highways. On the highway it ignores speed limit changes in either direction once cruise (or cruise+steer) is on, and off the highway it ignores upward speed limit changes once cruise (or cruise+steer) is on.
I'm not sure if you're trying to correct me, but I am 100% certain that you are factually incorrect in at least some contexts. My 2017 X 100D charges the SET speed up and down on Interstate on- and off-ramps as well as on sections of road that it considers to be on- and off-ramps even though they are not. It does this even when only TACC is enabled (and AP is NOT enabled). This may only be true on models equipped with the FSD software license, but I doubt that since it occurs even when I'm only using TACC. In my case, there is a "ramp" where the GPS speed limit was wrong (low) and it would reduce my active SET speed below the speed limit at the exact same spot every day. Eventually they fixed that and the behavior stopped happening unless I had my SET speed higher. I can still reproduce that behavior if I set TACC above the speed limit. On the other end of the exact same section of "ramp" going in the exact same direction, the GPS speed limit is still wrong (high), and it INCREASES my set speed ABOVE THE SPEED I SET INITIALLY. Again, it does this EVERY DAY, it does this while using TACC ONLY (not AP), and it has been doing this for well over a year, possibly two years. Just because you haven't driven in a location that causes this sort of behavior doesn't mean the software doesn't have this sort of behavior programmed into it.

I'm not sure if you're trying to correct me, but I am 100% certain that you are factually incorrect in at least some contexts. My 2017 X 100D charges the SET speed up and down on Interstate on- and off-ramps as well as on sections of road that it considers to be on- and off-ramps even though they are not. It does this even when only TACC is enabled (and AP is NOT enabled). This may only be true on models equipped with the FSD software license, but I doubt that since it occurs even when I'm only using TACC. In my case, there is a "ramp" where the GPS speed limit was wrong (low) and it would reduce my active SET speed below the speed limit at the exact same spot every day. Eventually they fixed that and the behavior stopped happening unless I had my SET speed higher. I can still reproduce that behavior if I set TACC above the speed limit. On the other end of the exact same section of "ramp" going in the exact same direction, the GPS speed limit is still wrong (high), and it INCREASES my set speed ABOVE THE SPEED I SET INITIALLY. Again, it does this EVERY DAY, it does this while using TACC ONLY (not AP), and it has been doing this for well over a year, possibly two years. Just because you haven't driven in a location that causes this sort of behavior doesn't mean the software doesn't have this sort of behavior programmed into it.
Well screw me until I cry then. Jesus. Let a guy just be wrong once in a while.

• Funny
Reactions: mxnym
Also, don't forget that Tesla vehicles contribute driving speeds back to the Tesla corporate, and the vehicle will adjust up/down based on "Tesla-sourced" aggregate data...

When I want to skip the freeways for my ~40 miles to work, I take some single lane highways or back roads... The speed limit on one stretch is posted higher than what the Tesla shows (incorrect data in the Tesla map), but, in places where it is showing correctly after that zone, it will slow down in some areas that many people have a bad habit of taking slowly for no reason (slight turns that require no slowdown).. Other Tesla vehicles driving that (and down in SoCal, everyone and their mom has one) have led to a nearly 7mph slowdown in some of those places, which isn't reflected in my set speed or the speed limit in the vehicle, it just slows down as if I'm hitting my brakes (and no, it's not a false positive detection or other issue - you can watch non-Tesla drivers do the same thing there).

(and no, it's not a false positive detection or other issue - you can watch non-Tesla drivers do the same thing there).
Part of me wonders if this could also explain why Teslas on AP "swerve" in intersections and for off-ramps that don't have dashed lines. It drives me nuts that they haven't gotten AP to a point where it can recognize that the lane "only changes on one side and then changes back" in order to continue driving straight instead of "swerving." Yeah, the IC shows the lane wider, so it seems like it's probably just centering, but watch people drive through 4 lane intersections, more often than not, they sway to the outside and then center up on the lane again once through.