Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed and load ratings for the 21" tires on the Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CBGPE

Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2020
SPRING VALLEY
I was curious about the speed and load ratings on the standard Pilot Sport 4S tires fitted to my Plaid.
They are Z rated 186 + mph & have a load rating of 1800+ pounds front and rear @ 50 psig . The GVWR
on my manufacturers label is 5657 and the GAWR front is 2645 and GAWR rear is 3196. So at least with a 50 psig tire pressure
there is seemingly plenty of reserve load capacity. So why is there the 163 mph speed restriction ?
Speculating ...maybe Michelin isn't comfortable with their tires on a car that can easily get to 200 mph and is as
near to the load limit as the Model S is....
Anybody out there who has a real explanation or at least some more more entertaining speculation

I was curious about the speed and load ratings on the standard Pilot Sport 4S tires fitted to my Plaid.
They are Z rated 186 + mph & have a load rating of 1800+ pounds front and rear @ 50 psig . The GVWR
on my manufacturers label is 5657 and the GAWR front is 2645 and GAWR rear is 3196. So at least with a 50 psig tire pressure
there is seemingly plenty of reserve load capacity. So why is there the 163 mph speed restriction ?
Speculating ...maybe Michelin isn't comfortable with their tires on a car that can easily get to 200 mph and is as
near to the load limit as the Model S is....
Anybody out there who has a real explanation or at least some more more entertaining speculation

My guess it's more that Tesla isn't quite ready in terms of "load balancing" testing on these motors quite yet. I'm guessing it's not the tires.