Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read every single post here, but the speed limit thing is only vaguely useful IMO... I think it may be more useful to Tesla as test data for driverless cars. They will essentially have a fleet of cars out testing how well their software reads signs and the environment, as the camera probably does more than just look at signs and the lane markers. Heck, it can even be used for adaptive cruise if they decide to use cameras instead of radar (Wasn't that part of a disagreement between Tesla and Google?)

This.

New to the forum, thought I'd share my ideas below.

I'm not sure when they're planning to release the ACC, but having the speed assist first could be their first part of the rollout. They probably want to make sure the reading of speed limits is robust enough before making it work with ACC (as in set cruise speed automatically maybe?). They could also be running a beta version of ACC in the background and record / report it's accuracy of what the system would have done compared to the driver's actual behaviour. With that data they can see what tweaks to do before enabling the ACC to people with Driver Assist package.

This too.

Yes, Tesla will sell the parts for the parking assist if you give them the part numbers. They will also update the car's firmware to recognize the new hardware. They charged $150 to do that (1 hour labor charge).

Well, just adding folding mirrors is $2700.00, so it depends on what you consider "reasonable". I don't consider $2700.00 for two mirrors "reasonable" (unless they're made of gold I guess)

Actually upgrading to folding mirrors isn't that expensive. I was originally quoted about $1600, but when I picked up car afterwards, they said since I already had the wire harness installed (power folding mirrors came out a few months after my car was produced), the cost came out to be $719 parts plus $210 labor for a total of $929 plus tax.

Plus I now have the original non-folding mirrors - anyone looking for spare parts?

Does your wife's 2014 Volvo also have forward collision warning?

It does, but that system is handled by a forward facing radar mounted in the front grill.

Blind spot monitoring and parking lot backup warning are handled by rear corner radars.

Slow speed collision avoidance is lidar based.

Pedestrian and cyclist detection is vision recognition through the MobileEye system (in addition to the aforementioned speed limit sign recognition and lane departure).

Pretty sophisticated collection of sensors.

I would expect no less from Tesla on the Model X.

Last edited:
The text from brianman says there is a haptic response from the steering wheel when the car drifts out of lane. There will be some sort of retrofit for that, if not a completely new steering wheel.

BMW utilizes the same feedback for lane departure - vibrating steering wheel. It sorta feels like you are running over the rumble strips on the shoulders of many interstates. When BMW first implemented the feature there was a small "off balance" electric motor in the steering wheel that would cause the vibration. Since implementing electric power steering it is my understanding that the "extra" vibration motor is no longer needed/used and the vibration sensation is now implemented directly by the power steering system.

Since the Tesla has used electric power steering from the beginning I assume no additional hardware is needed to make the steering wheel vibrate.

Mike

I did the parking sensor upgrade (VIN 8950) without replacing the bumper. While Tesla say it is, that's nonsense. Any experienced shop can drill the required holes in the bumpers. My total cost was about $2,400.

artsci

Did you get the Tesla or aftermarket sensors as I have been researching this retro fit and am caught between an LED monitor

IMAG0020.jpg
IMAG0033.jpg

or two thin bar graphs (one on the front dash one on the rear widow
porsche_backup.jpg
if I go aftermarket cost around $1500.

Now reading your post.... just an idea if I go to a shop and have them pre drill the holes would Tesla install the OEM as the big expense has been replacing the bumpers?

Sorry if this distracts from the org OP subject

Where do you drive, Afghanistan? Over here (EU) we consider state of our roads as pretty bad and still I know only 2 people who had to have their windshield replaced due to rock damage.

We have so many dump trucks on our highways and if there's even a small rock on the road that dump truck will fling the rock up into our windshield. Thankfully I got windshield film to protect my actual windshield because even it is extremely dinged up. Our roads the self in the he pacific NW are awful but it's the big rigs that cause most of the problems...

This is another example of the problems that come from not having a real NAV system. All of my Garmin systems have real time speed limit indication on the maps, thing next to the actual speed readout, provided by the internal database. No camera and no internet connection required. This development worries me, as an indication that NAV functionality will never include an POI or other database. That's a big issue for someone living where there is no cell service. And it is a huge kluge work-around, with a stupid hardware kluge and added cost, and no availability for older cars. Every NAV database knows road speed limits. Without that, TM is reduced to interpreting, interpolating, and downloading, with tons of warnings and caveats thrown in. It simply isn't as good as a hard wired NAV database. Given the added cost and inability to retrofit, it seems to be a death knell indication for those of us expecting a software solution to speed limit awareness, and the end of any possibility that we will ever be able to get categorized POIs or simply ask "Where's the nearest police station, post office or library?"

Just to clarify, it wouldn't require a data connection to read and interpret a speed limit sign, and I would rather that than going off a database. Maybe your roads in your area doesn't change that often, but my Navigon maps in the MS are so outdated that there are whole swaths of road that are just plain missing, and I would be afraid at the number of times the speed limits have been changed around here. Sure, for 90% of the roads, a database would probably work fine, but what about that other 10%? You willing to risk it?

"Do you know how fast you were going?"
"Yes, 55, that is the speed limit"
"Uh no, sir, the speed limit is 45"
"But my car database told me 55!"

It is virtually the same risk using both systems... And at least if the Mobileye system can't read the speed limit sign you *might* be able to claim that *you* couldn't read the sign. Which has been known to work, if the sign is partially covered or blocked or whatever by... well... anything, really, you can generally argue that the sign was unreadable and therefore you went the speed you assumed the road would be posted at.

But, to be clear, mobileye does not need an internet connection to work for any of its features. I don't see why this would be any different since it is virtually the same technology.

Just to clarify, it wouldn't require a data connection to read and interpret a speed limit sign, and I would rather that than going off a database. Maybe your roads in your area doesn't change that often, but my Navigon maps in the MS are so outdated that there are whole swaths of road that are just plain missing, and I would be afraid at the number of times the speed limits have been changed around here. Sure, for 90% of the roads, a database would probably work fine, but what about that other 10%? You willing to risk it?

"Do you know how fast you were going?"
"Yes, 55, that is the speed limit"
"Uh no, sir, the speed limit is 45"
"But my car database told me 55!"

It is virtually the same risk using both systems... And at least if the Mobileye system can't read the speed limit sign you *might* be able to claim that *you* couldn't read the sign. Which has been known to work, if the sign is partially covered or blocked or whatever by... well... anything, really, you can generally argue that the sign was unreadable and therefore you went the speed you assumed the road would be posted at.

But, to be clear, mobileye does not need an internet connection to work for any of its features. I don't see why this would be any different since it is virtually the same technology.

A database will have no clue about reduced speeds in temporary construction zones. That's where a MobilEye type of system would shine.

Where did you get your work done? I am in illinois and I was told $2000 for mirrors with install. I would love to know how to get a better deal if I can. I broke my mirror driving into garage thats why i am looking into this option now. Any help would be great.

1) Check the windshield for cutouts around the mirror (parts where the black paint is missing). You could probably just take a picture and we can compare to our cars
2) Take off the microphone grill (don't worry, it's easy and pops right back on) to see if there's a loose connector in there.

We don't know exactly where the camera will be mounted, so 1) probably won't tell us anything definitively unless you have a new camera-size cutout with no camera. They could put it on the mirror mount itself, in which case old windshields might be fine. No way to know yet.

Which part is the microphone grill? Is it on the mirror itself, on the back? Is it where that hole is?

artsci

Did you get the Tesla or aftermarket sensors as I have been researching this retro fit and am caught between an LED monitor

or two thin bar graphs (one on the front dash one on the rear widow if I go aftermarket cost around $1500.

Now reading your post.... just an idea if I go to a shop and have them pre drill the holes would Tesla install the OEM as the big expense has been replacing the bumpers?

Sorry if this distracts from the org OP subject

Tesla sensors and it all works with the touchscreen. PM me if you want to know more. Not for public discussion.

This is another example of the problems that come from not having a real NAV system. All of my Garmin systems have real time speed limit indication on the maps, thing next to the actual speed readout, provided by the internal database. No camera and no internet connection required. This development worries me, as an indication that NAV functionality will never include an POI or other database. That's a big issue for someone living where there is no cell service. And it is a huge kluge work-around, with a stupid hardware kluge and added cost, and no availability for older cars. Every NAV database knows road speed limits. Without that, TM is reduced to interpreting, interpolating, and downloading, with tons of warnings and caveats thrown in. It simply isn't as good as a hard wired NAV database. Given the added cost and inability to retrofit, it seems to be a death knell indication for those of us expecting a software solution to speed limit awareness, and the end of any possibility that we will ever be able to get categorized POIs or simply ask "Where's the nearest police station, post office or library?"

It's not a workaround. Using a database was the workaround to having a reliable machine vision determine the actual road conditions. The latter are the building blocks to more advanced features like ACC, auto lane-merge, etc to ultimately lead to auto-pilot.