Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the local service manager:

"Unfortunately this is not a retrofit qualifying item."​

That bursts my bubble.

Were those his exact (possible prepared, official response) words?

"retrofit qualifying item" sounds like it's not a item that will qualify for one of the mythical "hardware upgrades" done during prepaid annual service.

If it was not something we could pay for as an upgrade, I would think he would have said "Unfortunately this is not a retrofitable item"

@breser As best I could tell from the MyTesla website status my car was in production by 9/15, whether this means it started that day or before I have no idea.

The lane departure warning is a modest vibration in the steering wheel. This seems very similar (identical?) to a friend's E63 AMG (but without any corrective braking to return the car into its lane).

The speed assist gives a chime and a notice in the dash (see photo).

I'm unsure what photos from the front of the car would be most useful in terms of possible hardware. Let me know and I'll grab some photos.

Agreed that it would be wonderful if someone else (not me) also reported these features.

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 3.57.54 PM.png

Were those his exact (possible prepared, official response) words?

"retrofit qualifying item" sounds like it's not a item that will qualify for one of the mythical "hardware upgrades" done during prepaid annual service.

If it was not something we could pay for as an upgrade, I would think he would have said "Unfortunately this is not a retrofitable item"

Here are his exact words:

"Unfortunately this is not a retrofit qualifying item. When we release the new features I’m sure you will see all the info you are looking for =o)"

Do you think he was being coy?

@breser As best I could tell from the MyTesla website status my car was in production by 9/15, whether this means it started that day or before I have no idea.

Thanks, that just ups the excitement for tomorrow.

I'm unsure what photos from the front of the car would be most useful in terms of possible hardware. Let me know and I'll grab some photos.

Photos from the windshield around the area where the rear view mirror is mounted would probably be interesting. It's believed that Tesla is going to implement this by using a camera there. Pictures from the inside around the rear view mirror (basically behind the mirror) would probably also be interesting.

Mine started production last week and I am picking it up tomorrow in Costa Mesa. I will definitely post whether mine came with the features or not.

While it would be great to get these features (definitely would make the whole delay worth while) I have had these features on previous cars and won't be too terribly upset if I didn't Make the cut. Of all the driver assist tech features out there the one I only really used and enjoyed was the adaptive cruise control... If having these features would allow for that in future updates then I would really be bummed if I didn't make the cut.

front bumper sensor

Yes. There's a sensor in the middle of the front bumper, too.

The hardware looks exactly like what @AmpedRealtor shared via post #72 earlier in this thread (great catch!); much clearer photos.

I'm somehow already over an image upload quota; here's a link to a photo showing the sensor in my car:

Pt7ET0I.png

It definitely looks like a radar sensor. I could see a few markings but couldn't get a clear part number.

I'm sure these are different but http://www.bosch-automotivetechnolo...l_CO_PC_Driver-Assistance_512.html?compId=79# look similar.

MOBILEYE has these features.

All of those cautions sound just like the ones from the MobilEye manual.

I have installed on my Model S (Vin 3248) MOBILEYE, which has these three features of TESLA'S
driver assistance PLUS several others. The one I like best is the one that kicks it out of cruise control when you get too close to the vehicle in front. That let's the regenerative braking kick in and slows the car down. Also an alarm sounds. It is not as good as adaptive cruise control that will actually stop the car (like BMW) but, as far as I know, the best available in the aftermarket currently.

Weeogg,

Would you mind posting a photo of the side view mirrors? The car has what it needs for ACC, lane departure, speed assist and collision avoidance, but so far no word on blind spot warning. The latter may require sensors or cameras in the side view mirrors. I'm curious if the side mirrors contain anything new that we can identify from the outside?

Thanks Weeogg, that photo and your others clearly show you have new hardware along with the software needed for the new driver assist features. What I still don't understand is how you got Parking Sensors and the new features for FREE. It would be great if all Model S cars had those features as standard going forward (even though I am not particularly interested in having them on my S).

Yes. There's a sensor in the middle of the front bumper, too.
The hardware looks exactly like what @AmpedRealtor shared via post #72 earlier in this thread (great catch!); much clearer photos.

Pt7ET0I.png