Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That statement that Parking Sensors and the two new features will now be standard on the S is pretty amazing.
I wonder about this. I know that Tesla has been careful in the past about including new features as standard in the Model S due to language in the service agreements regarding included hardware updates. If they add new features as options, that makes it obvious that current owners aren't entitled to them, but new standard features might see some owners pushing for retrofits under that clause.

Lane departure, assisted cruise, and speed notifications were the three main features the Model S lacked that I wish I had. This ticks two of those boxes. Hopefully retrofits (paid or otherwise) are available.

I wonder about this. I know that Tesla has been careful in the past about including new features as standard in the Model S due to language in the service agreements regarding included hardware updates. If they add new features as options, that makes it obvious that current owners aren't entitled to them, but new standard features might see some owners pushing for retrofits under that clause.

I think it's obvious that current owners are not entitled to retrofits in either case. The service agreement doesn't actually mention hardware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure it never has. You're probably thinking of the web site promoting the service agreement, which used to say it included hardware upgrades (which is a vague statement), and now says "necessary hardware upgrades".

I think it's obvious that current owners are not entitled to retrofits in either case. The service agreement doesn't actually mention hardware upgrades, and I'm pretty sure it never has. You're probably thinking of the web site promoting the service agreement, which used to say it included hardware upgrades (which is a vague statement), and now says "necessary hardware upgrades".
Yeah, that was probably it. I thought it was in the agreement as well, but I guess it was just the website. Anyway, hopefully we find out about feasibility/cost soon.

Parking sensors were the big glaring omission when I got my car (weren't available at any cost) and I really could have used them recently. The Lane Departure system is cool, but I am not sure about the value of the Speed Assist. I'd like to see Blind Spot Detection and Adaptive Cruise as well.

Mr Perfect Driver driving perfectly doesn't care about speed assist. But for those of us who occasionally miss a speed sign even though we aren't speeders or anything:

Your GPS isn't up to date and the speed limits have changed. (See Maine Interstates that are now 70, up from 65. They put stickers over the limits.)
You're driving along an unfamiliar road having and you're focused on traffic and road conditions and in doing so you missed a speed sign.
You're driving in Maine and you realize you just missed a speed sign because they let the damn tree grow in front of it again.
Why on earth did they put the sign up there?
Oh crap, I'm in a construction zone.

I think it's something that can be a basic initial test of the camera technology and software. Tesla should get some good feedback on its accuracy.

I think including a lot this stuff as standard makes sense for Tesla.
- It's technology that helps with safety and Tesla wants to be seen as having safe vehicles
- It's an area where Tesla's currently considered to be lacking at its price point

Last edited:
Aha. Wasn't 5.14 reported to have a higher version number than 6.0?

Also, Weeogg can you post a picture of the safety&security settings screen?

Yes, I think this might solve the mystery of the 5.14 release. I suspect 6.0 is not compatible with this feature and there is a 6.1 coming soon that will merge in all the Lane Assist features as well as 6.0 new features into a single release.

Picked up 52### at the factory today. Was surprised to find lane departure and speed assist features installed and active. Also had parking sensors. Very happy. DS said cars made last week had new features. Cheers.

You have any idea when your vehicle went into production? Mine started on the 16th. I'm taking delivery tomorrow. So hopefully I get this as well. I did pay for the parking sensors and the tech package.

My car, delivered Friday, has v5.14, new steering wheel stalks, tech package and parking sensors, and does NOT have this.

tesla settings.jpg
tesla version.jpg

So, not necessarily tied to v5.14.

If they are using the Mobileye technology, then it would be nice if they eventually add auto high beam controls and the other Mobileye features. At this point it would just be software. Of course, we are still waiting for TPMS display, which is also "just software".

My car, delivered Friday, has v5.14, new steering wheel stalks, tech package and parking sensors, and does NOT have this.

View attachment 59862View attachment 59863

So, not necessarily tied to v5.14.

Looking at the delivery spreadsheet your vehicle was in production from September 5th to 10th which is outside the timeframe Weeogg said his DS gave for when the new feature was added.

Looking at the delivery spreadsheet your vehicle was in production from September 5th to 10th which is outside the timeframe Weeogg said his DS gave for when the new feature was added.

My point was that it's not necessarily tied to 5.14, which some prior posters seemed to think. Don't want to get people's hopes up that if they have 5.14 they should definitely have these new features.

@Perfect Flaw, i was suspicious too, but someone on the official forums said his delivery center confirmed they're starting to see very recently manufactured cars with these features, so it doesn't seem to be fake.

One other user over there warned that in the past Tesla has put out cars with "unpaid for" features, and later turned them off and/or software limited them for those owners who shouldn't have got them. One example they gave was some UK cars getting dual chargers w/o paying for them, and they were active at first but then software limited to be non-functional unless paid for. So depending on exactly how they position these features Weeogg may find them mysteriously vanish or be grayed out someday if they decide they should only go to people who ordered the tech package.