TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Speed assist in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by lennier, Jul 20, 2015.

1. lennier

lennier Member

How have people found speed assist to work? My understanding is that it is supposed to fall back to GPS data if it can't read the signs, but it also seems that it overrides GPS data if it thinks that it has successfully read the sign, even if the two values are quite inconsistent.

For example, I've seen it misread an 80 as 30, and set the current speed limit as 30 despite that being an invalid speed limit (as far as I know) and extremely unlikely on a highway. It would presumably also be a large variation from what's listed in GPS databases.

It also seems to have a lot of trouble reading the illuminated variable speed signs on freeways, almost always reading 80 as 60 or 'unknown' for example. In this case of course there may be no GPS values to fall back on, since the limit isn't fixed.

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

I spoke to the autopilot guy at TMC last week about these things. For the LED signs he suspects they flash at a different rate to what Germany uses (which speed assist sees).
    The 80/30 problem is known and I have noticed in the last couple of weeks it's gone away and replaced with a problem where it seldom sees 80 at all. He said they would look at it.

3. lennier

lennier Member

Interesting info, thanks Ray. Did he mention anything about how or when it chooses to override the GPS info?

4. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Until recently I had the opposite problem where GPS data would override the camera, leading to the situation in a construction zone (that has been under construction for a couple of years) where the car would successfully read an 80 sign, then ~20 seconds later revert to 100km/h based on GPS data; then repeat the same cycle at the next 80 km/h sign

with 2.4.238 this was improved, and with 2.4.249 seems to be fixed

Yes I've seen it do that consistently, and is one of the reasons I'm glad the cruise control doesn't automatically adjust to the new speed.

Also, the default speed limit for built-up areas in WA is 50km/h, but my car thinks the suburban streets near my house are all 60km/h - except for the school zones which it thinks are always 40 km/h

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

He didn't mention that. I'm sure mine doesn't use GPS data. If it hasn't read a sign, the speed limit is displayed as '--'.

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

It also has intermittent success reading speed signs on overhead gantries. Is speed assist supposed to do anything other than indicate the speed?

7. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

If (while you're on cruise control) you hold the cruise-control stalk towards you for one second it will adjust to the new speed plus or minus any offset you have configured in the settings.

8. lennier

lennier Member

At the moment, it just sets the cars current idea of what the speed limit is, which can enable alerts for if you exceed it. You can also set TACC to cruise at that speed (+/- whatever increment you have set in controls) by pulling the cruise lever towards you for a few seconds.

9. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

:cool: Thanks

10. danielp

danielp Member

I hope they keep it that way when autopilot steering rolls out, so that we have to action any speed change. Every LED 80 sign along the NSW M5 reads as 30...

11. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

This thread has gotten me curious. Is there really any GPS input into speed assist? I've never noticed it. It only seems to respond to speed signs.

I have had the same issues with lighted variable speed signs and overhead speed signs. It just doesn't see them. This makes it pretty much useless on the Monash Freeway.

It also tends to pick up the speed limits on off-ramps when I'm on the freeway dropping the observed limit to 60 from 80 or 100.

I never had an issue with the 80/30 problem that others have reported. Although the other day it suddenly switched to 5 while I was in a 70 zone! I've got no idea what it saw to do that.

They really have a lot of work to do before this is genuinely useful in Australia.

12. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Yes I can 100% say my car has a GPS database of speed limits.
    There are no speed signs here in built-up areas yet my car usually shows a speed limit (wrong in my suburb, correct elsewhere) plus as I mentioned earlier it kept overriding the camera in construction zones.

13. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

yes, I also have it pick up speed signs on the off ramps

14. Keiron

Keiron Member

An interesting discussion broke out when I was giving 2 friends a joy ride last weekend. They're both RACV driver instructors and they picked up the fact that Speed control and sign tracking responses were POST a sign position. I had never cared up until they pointed out if you are approaching a 60 km sign and your in an 80km zone at ,say, 79km/hr Model S kicks in speed adjust/regen AFTER you pass the sign which according to them will get you booked. The speech was along the lines that a driver is expected to BE at OR BELOW the designated speed( Sign) by the time you PASS that sign.. After they upset me with that speech I demonstrated the accel rate and scared the crap outta them :scared:.

15. raynewman

raynewman Member

May be right in Victoria but in Queensland you have 300 metres to change speed EXCEPT for school zones.

16. TesAus

TesAus Member

Or 40km/hr every time you pass a bus (buses in NSW have a 40 sign that applies when lights either side of the sign flash-not sure if this occurs in other states)

17. danielp

danielp Member

Oh that's cool!

18. raynewman

raynewman Member

In Queensland, we don't have the 40 on the busses but do have the 40 (with time conditions) outside all schools. That also confuses it.

19. Thegurio

Thegurio Member

We have the same thing here in Tasmania, being that any bus with said flashing lights is a 40km/h zone, which is a bit frustrating when you're surrounded by 80km/h zones...

20. DTA

DTA New Member

Lane Cove area, New South Wales, Australia
    Still not reliable with version 7. Seems odd that it is so unreliable.