Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed assist in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget to submit a bug report.
I've submitted any number of reports; to the car, by email, in person and even in person to a member of the software team when I was in the states in July but it just seems to get worse.
I have had it misread 80 as 100 (long stretch of roadwork). As I didn't see the sign, I said that (insert expletive) thats done only to see another 80 just down the road (whoops).

Here in WA, it seems my car uses GPS rather than reading the signs. The GPS changes the speed displayed from 60 to 40 when I cross a road with a 40 km/h limit. There are no signs indicating this. And it often does not change the displayed speed limit when there is a sign. so I feel it is not reading them. Here we have the round "european" signs with a red border. Is that the same in other states?

My biggest complaint about reading speed limits is that it thinks school zones are 40 all the time, rather than only at certain times of day and certain days of the year (the second is hard to implement, I know). I'm sure it isn't reading the signs, as many are LED and are switched off outside school hours.

I find it does a combination of both. It would be nice if it was obvious the data came from the (out of date) maps rather than the camera, because right now I can't rely on it at all - I recently found myself speeding when about 1km past an unfamiliar town - I assumed I'd missed the signs advising of the speed limit going back to 80km/h at the outskirts of town, but turns out the car was giving me incorrect or out of date map data as those signs were around the next corner, and I was still in a 60km/h zone.
Fortunately there were no "revenue raisers" around.

marchino: try driving along the section of Tonkin Highway that's had roadworks for the last few years - the car will correctly read the temporary 80km/h signs and often 5 seconds later revert back to the map-supplied 100km/h. useless!

Here in WA, it seems my car uses GPS rather than reading the signs. The GPS changes the speed displayed from 60 to 40 when I cross a road with a 40 km/h limit. There are no signs indicating this. And it often does not change the displayed speed limit when there is a sign. so I feel it is not reading them. Here we have the round "european" signs with a red border. Is that the same in other states?

My biggest complaint about reading speed limits is that it thinks school zones are 40 all the time, rather than only at certain times of day and certain days of the year (the second is hard to implement, I know). I'm sure it isn't reading the signs, as many are LED and are switched off outside school hours.
I'm not convinced it reads signs at all. Drove straight past a new 40 sign last week in a previously designated 50 area. Same sign standard as all others that is supposedly "sees". The car dash didn't acknowledge the 40 sign.

I think Ive discovered a very simple issue with the sign recog. Cleanliness of the windscreen up near the mirror/camera module. On my way into Tesla Richmond I noticed it missed 40km/hr roadworks signs completely ( it has happened before) but my car was very dirty including windscreen from the dirt road into my place. After the free checkup on the way back-same road BUT after TESLA cleaned the car including a sparkling clean windscreen it picked the signs at ground level quiet accurately. I was pleasantly surprised.:biggrin:

I think Ive discovered a very simple issue with the sign recog. Cleanliness of the windscreen up near the mirror/camera module. On my way into Tesla Richmond I noticed it missed 40km/hr roadworks signs completely ( it has happened before) but my car was very dirty including windscreen from the dirt road into my place. After the free checkup on the way back-same road BUT after TESLA cleaned the car including a sparkling clean windscreen it picked the signs at ground level quiet accurately. I was pleasantly surprised.:biggrin:
My windscreen is very clean, as is the rest of my car, however neither of our model s has ever detected a roadside 25kmh construction sign. Go past at least two of them daily. Indeed I park in front of one in my office, hanging on the wall along with our other stored traffic control devices. Doesn't see that one either, right in front of the camera.

Interesting that autosteer speed limiting to less than 72 km/h on non-freeway roads has started to roll out in the latest updates, so far apparently selectively, obviously not universally...yet. I'm trying to think of a situation in which I would really notice this change when it rolls out here. Don't think I'll be bothered...no doubt many will differ.

Tesla started pushing more Autopilot restrictions to minimize the owners have been doing | Electrek

ap-restriction-e1449433041554.jpg