Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed assist with cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed setting when towing works differently now. Towing yesterday for the first time in a while, I discovered that when cruise control is engaged on my M3 it engages at the current speed rather than the speed limit. I’m sure it didn’t do this previously. Later when not towing it engaged at the speed limit. I put the car into towing mode and it engaged at the current speed. I’d like this to be normal mode behaviour. I’m on 2020.12.11.2.

Speed setting when towing works differently now. Towing yesterday for the first time in a while, I discovered that when cruise control is engaged on my M3 it engages at the current speed rather than the speed limit. I’m sure it didn’t do this previously. Later when not towing it engaged at the speed limit. I put the car into towing mode and it engaged at the current speed. I’d like this to be normal mode behaviour. I’m on 2020.12.11.2.

I've seen this before but it was me... I was slightly over the speed limit and engaged cruise which then sets the speed you are at rather than the limit. Scenario - you're accelerating out of a 30 limit and you engage cruise before the car has caught up with the limit change, i.e. everything you're doing is legal but the car is late seeing the limit change. Does the car recognize it's towing automagically or do you set it? Also, there is a Tow Mode that is for towing the car, not towing a trailer - this could get confusing!

I saw this yesterday while carrying two bikes on my towbar bike rack. I thought that this was -- at last -- a much-requested update that had been part of a recent software update, but I was puzzled that I had seen no reference to this on the forums.

It is very disappointing if it is only while towing. Why are they so resistant to common sense?

I think if you are on auto pilot (not just TACC) it sometimes applies speed changes. Did it all the way up the A9 for me a few weeks back, all be it increasing and decreasing about 1/4 mile after I would have preferred. But it did.

Its also done this for me approaching a motorway junction roundabout, but not always. By the time you are sure its not going to slow you down its self you then have to brake pretty damn hard. Definitely not for experimenting with on busy roads or with passengers.

I think if you are on auto pilot (not just TACC) it sometimes applies speed changes.

Yes definitely this happens all the time for me but like you said, it's often far too late. I've noticed as well that it will now only offer autopilot at exactly the speed limit, used to be able to go a few MPH over I think? This is semi-autonomous driving mode on those that have not paid for full self driving, might be different in that mode.

Yes definitely this happens all the time for me but like you said, it's often far too late. I've noticed as well that it will now only offer autopilot at exactly the speed limit, used to be able to go a few MPH over I think? This is semi-autonomous driving mode on those that have not paid for full self driving, might be different in that mode.

The max speed it will allow is speed limit+your offset. I'd accidentally slipped my limit to an absolute 50 and it took me ages to work out why my auto pilot wouldn't allow me over that!

on motorways and dual carriageways it allows you to increase the the setting to over the speed limit on autosteer. Autosteer will adjust the speed when driving into new speed limits if it spots a sign, TACC will not. Also, right hand scroll wheel for adjusting speed surely?

on motorways and dual carriageways it allows you to increase the the setting to over the speed limit on autosteer. Autosteer will adjust the speed when driving into new speed limits if it spots a sign, TACC will not. Also, right hand scroll wheel for adjusting speed surely?
There is something to this, I can adjust manually over 70mph on dual carriageways with right scroll wheel on autosteer but it resolutely will not exceed on lower limits such as 50mph single carriageways. How does it decide which can be exceeded and which can't?!

There is something to this, I can adjust manually over 70mph on dual carriageways with right scroll wheel on autosteer but it resolutely will not exceed on lower limits such as 50mph single carriageways. How does it decide which can be exceeded and which can't?!
When you say there is something to this, it is how the system is designed.
by identifying that it is a dual carriageway/motorway by the looks of it. autosteer is only intended for those roads anyway and im pretty confident it will always identify if the road is suitable. I imagine it is done mostly for safety, but also system limitations such as sharper bends on single carriageway/slower roads

Tell me if I'm wrong, but on my previous car, a Golf, if I hit the brakes while driving on cruise control, CC would disengage, but then there was a 'resume' button I could use to return to my previous speed setting.

I don't see a 'resume' feature on my M3LR, and to me that seems a real oversight of a much used feature.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but on my previous car, a Golf, if I hit the brakes while driving on cruise control, CC would disengage, but then there was a 'resume' button I could use to return to my previous speed setting.

I don't see a 'resume' feature on my M3LR, and to me that seems a real oversight of a much used feature.
Interesting, I hated the resume features, I personally found that confused everything. Am I resuming what it was last set to, am I restarting, am I setting. With the Tesla, turn on and adjust, and off. Simple.
personal preferences ay.