Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one spans a few categories - thus a post here in main forum...

Just got to Canada for the summer again this year and flipped the car over to KM from Miles. And then YIKES. See the image. It appears the speed limit recognition software is still thinking in MPH. This could be pretty serious actually and I need to send it in ASAP. (best email for that??)

Do note that LAST summer here in the same location, it worked perfectly.
IMG_0846.jpg

Yes, your math is correct. But the car should NOT be doing this when in Canada, and when the driver has selected the metric system for speed units.

The signs in Canada are in km/h. The 60km/h sign above is being read as MPH by the car and the car is converting it - unnecessarily - to km/h.

This one spans a few categories - thus a post here in main forum...

Just got to Canada for the summer again this year and flipped the car over to KM from Miles. And then YIKES. See the image. It appears the speed limit recognition software is still thinking in MPH. This could be pretty serious actually and I need to send it in ASAP. (best email for that??)

Do note that LAST summer here in the same location, it worked perfectly.
What version of firmware are you on? I'm running 17.18.50 (looks like the latest version reported on ev-fw). I'll be in Canada in a couple of weeks; I can see if it's still an issue in this version.

Try a reboot both screens?
What version of firmware are you on? I'm running 17.18.50 (looks like the latest version reported on ev-fw). I'll be in Canada in a couple of weeks; I can see if it's still an issue in this version.

Still on 17.14.23 as no update has been offered for a while. (maybe because I am AP1)

Reboot on both screens achieved nothing.

Emailed my Service Center and he said good find and not supposed to be the case... He sent it on to the software wizards.

I tried setting units to km when I went out to lunch this afternoon, and the car converted the signs to km (ie, 40 mph sign displayed as 64, like the OP). So it looks like it's still broken in 17.18.50.

Unless the car is somehow smart enough (GPS location) to know I'm in NH and the signs are in MPH. I'll still try in Canada later.

Thanks. I just asked and they said not possible remotely...

When I get it I'll report any fix!
That's not true. They can definitely stage an update to your car remotely (I had it done). When I reported the "can't disable traction control" bug in 17.14.23 discussed here - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/traction-control-question.90928/ - my "local" (120 miles away) service center reported that it was a known issue that had been fixed. They pushed 17.18.50 remotely while my car was parked at the airport. I got a phone notification of a pending update while I was away and installed it when I got home.

That's not true. They can definitely stage an update to your car remotely (I had it done). When I reported the "can't disable traction control" bug in 17.14.23 discussed here - Traction Control question - my "local" (120 miles away) service center reported that it was a known issue that had been fixed. They pushed 17.18.50 remotely while my car was parked at the airport. I got a phone notification of a pending update while I was away and installed it when I got home.

Huh. Well I was only repeating what my Service Manager emailed me. Maybe they do have a way, but reserve it for more serious issues?

I tried setting units to km when I went out to lunch this afternoon, and the car converted the signs to km (ie, 40 mph sign displayed as 64, like the OP). So it looks like it's still broken in 17.18.50.

Unless the car is somehow smart enough (GPS location) to know I'm in NH and the signs are in MPH. I'll still try in Canada later.

I'd hope that the car knew you were in NH and this was expected behavior. I know last year in Canada, I left MPH on for a while and it did the conversions from the Metric road signs perfectly to MPH.

On another note, the car seems to know the proper speed limit. I turned on AP1yesterday and it only allowed me 8km/h over the posted speed. (108 in a 100) Even though it showed the posted speed incorrectly in the little speed sign.

Huh. Well I was only repeating what my Service Manager emailed me. Maybe they do have a way, but reserve it for more serious issues?
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to "call you out", just that the SC statement wasn't 100% accurate. It probably makes sense - if word got out they could push updates without a SC visit, can you imagine the harassment they'd get when a new version starts to roll out?

In my case, I emailed [email protected] to open an issue/ticket. The collected all my info and submitted it to the local SC. The SC contacted me to let me know a tech went through the bug database and found that it was a known issue that was fixed. They opened a work order to update the firmware:
Concern: Customer states: Unable to turn off traction control.

Corrections: Firmware Update - Repair

Latest firmware staged to vehicle for installation by customer at his/her convenience. *
Please read release notes after installation as new features may change previous vehicle
behavior. *

Pay Type: Warranty
I'd start the ball rolling by filling a bug report with [email protected] regardless of whether it's already fixed in 17.18.50 or not. I'll still test in a week and a half and let you know what happens.

I'd hope that the car knew you were in NH and this was expected behavior. I know last year in Canada, I left MPH on for a while and it did the conversions from the Metric road signs perfectly to MPH.
That's interesting. When you went over to metric, did it work correctly (no longer converting the road signs)? I'll bet the car uses geofencing to know if it's in metric or imperial territory.