Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Bumps, Road Humps, & the Bottom of my MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knows what the bottom of the MS looks like and what kind of protection there is for the batteries.
I have occasionally run over a speed bump that was extra high as well as some high road humps which caused my MS to bottom out as it went over them. Also have been on a couple of rough roads that may have scraped the bottom as well.
Is there a 'skid plate" or some protective surface under the car? I try to take it slow over these bumps but hate it when the bottoms hits. My MS does not have air suspension so it's just the same height at all times.

IF you have Smart Air Suspension just raise the suspension to High or Very High... then lower back to Normal when the obstacle has passed. EASY... Plus it can remember each GPS location too. (read your manual)

Great for the Speed Bumps, Road Humps & steep driveways you frequent.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I was wondering if anyone knows what the bottom of the MS looks like and what kind of protection there is for the batteries.
I have occasionally run over a speed bump that was extra high as well as some high road humps which caused my MS to bottom out as it went over them. Also have been on a couple of rough roads that may have scraped the bottom as well.
Is there a 'skid plate" or some protective surface under the car? I try to take it slow over these bumps but hate it when the bottoms hits. My MS does not have air suspension so it's just the same height at all times.

Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
That was back in 2014. The article is outdated. Specifically: "It is important to note that there have been no fire injuries (or serious, permanent injuries of any kind) in a Tesla at all." There has been dozens of deaths, and at least six deaths from accidents with Teslas that involved battery fires since then.

However, to address the OP's question, while the average speed bump scrape shouldn't hurt the battery pack, it is not inconceivable that hitting an extra high one with force might do damage. I wouldn't worry about the average speed bump, and would take the extra high ones with caution.

That was back in 2014. The article is outdated. Specifically: "It is important to note that there have been no fire injuries (or serious, permanent injuries of any kind) in a Tesla at all." There has been dozens of deaths, and at least six deaths from accidents with Teslas that involved battery fires since then.

Yes. but the point of the link was to answer the specific question in the first post about battery protection.

as far as fires, Teslas are FAR safer than gas cars re: Fire hazards.

Tesla is facing scrutiny for its cars catching on fire, but electric cars could actually end up being safer than gas-powered cars

Went over a speed bump and caused my air suspension light to come on. Car is working just fine and so is the air suspension. However I do hear air leaking on the front across the bumper. Anyone else have dealt with this issue? Don’t have an appt till the 15th