Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed cameras on maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to love Google maps on my old car as that has things like speed cameras but I can't see that option on my model 3.
Also it was good to see alternative routes automatically show up with how much time/distance different they were.
Thought that Tesla used Google maps so are these missing on purpose?

Is that with your phone? Sorry for asking seemingly dumb question.
waze is inmho a far better navigational aid than Google maps. it uses the same database of locations as goggle(being owned by them) but the backend software is much better. Google is only now adopting features from waze which were there from the beginning such as the hud speedo.
waze works on your phone integrates with all of your favourite audio programs(like a radio) and you can update the map yourself if something is wrong!

Waze uses google locations to fill in the gaps, but waze has its own location POI database which overrides google. If you see inaccuracies in the waze map let me know and I'll have a go at fixing - e.g. I tweaked the location and route/roads around the south mimms supercharger, and added a waze POI for the "EVs in the Park" event (alt search for "EVITP" in waze )

[Waze]
Is that with your phone? Sorry for asking seemingly dumb question.

Yup. I don't reckon there are any dumb questions, only gaps in peoples' knowledge :)

I would love speed camera alerts on the map as well.
It's what I miss the most about my Tomtom

Long time since I have used TomTom but I am guessing? that if a police car parks in a bush then TomTom won't tell you about that?

First "Wazer" that goes past (bad luck!) can press a "Police car spotted" button and other Waze users are alerted - including "Hidden police car" and "Other carriageway" options (Map shows the number of Wazers around you, suprising how many it is :)

Similar for Roadworks, Car stopped on shoulder / carriageway, Pothole, loads of similar thing

I thought "Roadworks reported ahead" was a gimmick, until the first time I came around a blind bend to find a queue of traffic and was pleased to have known :)

When a new bypass opens it seems a matter of moments before Waze sees everyone driving through a "ploughed field" and the map is updated.

Waze lets you send a TEXT to the people you are visiting (with a LINK), and they can check your progress - so you don't have to faff with letting them know if you get held up

Maybe Google Maps has some/all those too?

Tesla should incorporate into their maps

Tesla should do lots of things :)

There was a lot of talk of Tesla incorporating Waze a couple of years ago - sufficient that it was almost certainly something that was actually being attempted. It never happened, quite possibly because Google wanted a king's ransom for use ...

Lots of sites that used Google Maps a year ago no longer do, because Google have hugely ramped up the licence fee ...

Google mapping are still exclusive in the Audi VC with 3D mapping as well as Tesla. Google is still much better than what is currently used in BMW and Mercedes. There was a option on my 2018 Audi to add-in POI to google maps which includes the 2019 speed camera database. Hopefully we can see an option to add in POi in the Tesla in the near future

Yup. I don't reckon there are any dumb questions, only gaps in peoples' knowledge :)

Long time since I have used TomTom but I am guessing? that if a police car parks in a bush then TomTom won't tell you about that?

First "Wazer" that goes past (bad luck!) can press a "Police car spotted" button and other Waze users are alerted - including "Hidden police car" and "Other carriageway" options (Map shows the number of Wazers around you, suprising how many it is :)

Similar for Roadworks, Car stopped on shoulder / carriageway, Pothole, loads of similar thing

I thought "Roadworks reported ahead" was a gimmick, until the first time I came around a blind bend to find a queue of traffic and was pleased to have known :)

When a new bypass opens it seems a matter of moments before Waze sees everyone driving through a "ploughed field" and the map is updated.

Waze lets you send a TEXT to the people you are visiting (with a LINK), and they can check your progress - so you don't have to faff with letting them know if you get held up

Yep Google maps had most of this as well now.
You can share location so people can track you and also report traffic and mobile speed cameras

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I remember the early days of Waze with loads of sweets? to collect by travelling down less frequently used roads. IIRC this confirmed the road position, speed limits etc.

I do occassionally use both Google and Waze map editors to correct issues that I've encountered.

Used to love Google maps on my old car as that has things like speed cameras but I can't see that option on my model 3.
Also it was good to see alternative routes automatically show up with how much time/distance different they were.
Thought that Tesla used Google maps so are these missing on purpose?
Problem solved. Just use a speed camera app on your phone.
Only issue is that you cant have the music too loud unless you also play this on your phone (via bluetooth) and it should mute the music when a speed camera alert is activated on your phone.

Although they are owned by Google, possibly one of the most sinister companies in the world (right behind Facebook) and if I have an alternative I will never use of of their products.

Hence my sticking to Tomtom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.