TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Speed Control Suggestions

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Doug_G, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Since the Model S is so quiet, there will be no audible feedback on your speed like an ICE car, or even a Roadster. Leaf owners tell me it's all too easy to get going too fast unless you use the cruise control. But of course unless it's adaptive cruise - which isn't available on the Model S - you can't use it in traffic. Sounds like a recipe for speeding tickets.

I think there is a trivial solution: a simple app for the touchscreen. Whenever the car exceeds a certain speed it goes "bong". It should have buttons to turn on different thresholds, which would all be user-programmable. (I'd make them toggles so you can leave them on if you like.) You might set up buttons for freeway, regular highway, and city streets.

So let's say you pull onto an 80 kph highway. Everyone goes a bit faster than that, so you'd have a 95 kph button (or whatever works for you). Now if your car ever exceeds 95 kph, you get a polite "bong" to let you know.

I think this simple feature could save Model S owners a lot of speeding tickets.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Maybe that will be one of the first apps for the car that you'll be able to upload!

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Excellent idea. I'm hoping that since one can actually see the speedometer easily (taller drivers at least) that it should be less of an issue.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Next suggestion - it would be very nice if the cruise control showed its setpoint on the speedometer screen. It makes it so much faster to set the cruise control to your intended speed.

I frequently notice how much more convenient this is when driving my Infiniti. The adaptive cruise control has a setpoint display, but the conventional cruise control does not. Sometimes I have to switch over because heavy rain disables the adaptive cruise (water absorbs radar microwave frequencies). Whenever I do that, I have to spend a lot more time fiddling with it to get the speed where I want it. This means more time glancing down at the speedometer instead of keeping your eyes on the road. With the setpoint display I can quickly dial it to the speed I want and then ignore it.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Should be trivial as many cars have this already (including the Karma)

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Silence is golden.....

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Agreed on the Infiniti programmable CC. Really makes it easier.

Don't care about a speed bong. Just learn how to drive.

8. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

The speed of the other cars on the road and the speedometer itself aren't enough?

9. SByer

SByer '08 #383

My wife's E350 wagon has cruise control that digitally displays the target speed and the stalk bumps it up and down by 1mph. All cruise controls should do this.

In the Roadster, unconsciously going too fast isn't really a problem, but that's because there's always that wind noise (though it's so much better with all the updates - before, going even 65mph raised a cacophony of whoosh). Consciously going too fast? Well...

10. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

GPS/Maps integration could do it. My phone's nav software (Nokia Drive) has a configurable beep at X above the speed limit (2 of them, one for low speeds, one for interstate).

11. SigGuy

SigGuy Member

In my Lexus, the speedometer just lights up orange when I hit a speed threshold that I can set. Visual is better than a sound, especially since if I'm speeding I likely have the music cranked as well.

12. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I had this on my 2000 Audi A4 and never used it. I guess that I don't mind paying attention to how fast I'm going.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Gotta pass on these ideas. You guys who are used to luxury cars must be spoiled :wink:.

If in traffic, gauge speed by others around you. Use speedometer.

If no other traffic around, use cruise control. Use speedometer.

Any app I have to fiddle with, that's going to bong at me over and over again, would drive me nuts ;).

Maybe it's because I just finished a 17 hour workday?!?

14. goyogi

goyogi Member

Bongs usually mellow people out, not drive them nuts. Unless you meant drive you to eat nuts...and other munchies?

15. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

That sounds incredibly annoying. I'm really hoping that they simply include a SPEEDOMETER on the dashboard! I've seen those on other cars and it's really nice because it tells you exactly how fast you are going. :smile:

16. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Bong -- there's an app for that?

+1 for the cruise control fine control on the stalk (I have it on my VW and find it really nice)
    +1 for being able to tell the GPS to tell you when X % or X mph over the speed limit in the area. I like that one because if I'm using the GPS then I'm prolly not aware enough of the area to know the speed limits.

17. AndyM

AndyM Member

I agree with those above who say "pay attention to the road and conditions". And please, PLEASE don't "bong" or "ding" or anything.
    However, I really like the idea of displaying the local speed limit - available from the sat nav system - right there on the speedometer. A tick mark along the dial can easily be drawn!

18. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My GTI has a speed warning. The LCD between the speedo and tach goes from black with red letters, to red with black letters. There is a 'dong' chime but I never hear it because the speed is set at 100mph and wind/tire noise washes it out. The annoying part is that my steering wheel volume buttons don't work, so I have to reach to the knob on the radio face.

19. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

BMW has this feature and I thought I would like it but I have turned it off. Still nice to know it is there if I want it back.

20. napabill

napabill Active Member

The Navigon app for the iPhone or iPad does just that, but the warning issued is based on the known speed limit in it's data base. Works well, with a pleasant female voice just saying, "Warning" whenever you are more than about 10% over the limit. And it doesn't rely on the internet.