Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Control Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds incredibly annoying. I'm really hoping that they simply include a SPEEDOMETER on the dashboard! I've seen those on other cars and it's really nice because it tells you exactly how fast you are going. :smile:

Okay, guys, you're all used to cars where you can hear the drive train, whether you realize it or not. Do you really glance down at the speedometer every 10 seconds? Even once a minute? I really doubt it. Can you tell how fast you're going by looking at the scenery going by? No, no matter what you think, you can't.

Okay, guys, you're all used to cars where you can hear the drive train, whether you realize it or not. Do you really glance down at the speedometer every 10 seconds? Even once a minute? I really doubt it. Can you tell how fast you're going by looking at the scenery going by? No, no matter what you think, you can't.

I just make sure I am going about 10-15 mph faster than the flow of traffic. :redface: Or slower if I am unable to do that. :biggrin:

Okay, guys, you're all used to cars where you can hear the drive train, whether you realize it or not.

I freely admit that when I first got the Roadster I would sometimes shock myself when I saw how fast I was going, but at some point in time I certainly developed a better feel for it and now I'm quite happy with an occasional glance at the VDS or the Alpine. Really looking forward to a (silent) Model S where I can at least see the speedometer!

I do. Just habit since learning to drive as a teenager. I look straight ahead and every 10 seconds or so I glance at one of my mirrors or gauges. That habit saved my engine once too. I had a hose leak and caught an irregular rise in coolant temp almost immediately.

I do. Just habit since learning to drive as a teenager. I look straight ahead and every 10 seconds or so I glance at one of my mirrors or gauges. That habit saved my engine once too. I had a hose leak and caught an irregular rise in coolant temp almost immediately.

+1 to looking down regularly at your temperature gauges. I have saved my car, and my brother's car that way. Cracked coolant plastic piece was leaking in my car after some poor actions on my part. I just got my brother to cart around 5 gallons of water and fill his radiator every 30-45 minutes for about 6 months.

I do. Just habit since learning to drive as a teenager. I look straight ahead and every 10 seconds or so I glance at one of my mirrors or gauges.

Kudos. You'd make a good pilot.

I freely admit that when I first got the Roadster I would sometimes shock myself when I saw how fast I was going, but at some point in time I certainly developed a better feel for it and now I'm quite happy with an occasional glance at the VDS or the Alpine. Really looking forward to a (silent) Model S where I can at least see the speedometer!

Yeah, but even in the Roadster you can hear the drive train. I've noticed that my speed tends to drift more when I've got the top off, because I can't hear it.

I do tend to scan the console frequently, but I can't see the fool speedometer in the Roadster! The Model S will certainly be better for that.

Since the Model S is so quiet, there will be no audible feedback on your speed like an ICE car, or even a Roadster. Leaf owners tell me it's all too easy to get going too fast unless you use the cruise control.
No different from any other smooth-riding car. When I first got my Prius I found myself tending to go too fast because the car feels like it's going slower than it really is. You learn to judge by the feel and the scenery going past you.

I glance at the speedometer from time to time. (I'm short enough that I can see the speedo in the Roadster.) A bigger problem in the Roadster (and maybe the Model S will do the same to a lesser extent) is speedometer lag when accelerating. If I floor it from a stop until the speedo says 35 (the limit on most streets here) I'll actually be going over 40, because it takes the speedo a moment to catch up. I learned that if I floor it I have to let off the pedal when the speedo says 30, or in a 25 mph zone I have to let off when the speedo says 20.

The Model S is quick enough that there might be a similar issue. But who wants the car bonging at you every time you go a hair over the limit?

Any new car will take getting used to. Be careful for the first wek and after that you won't need the bong, as long as you're paying attention to your driving, which you should be doing anyway.

No different from any other smooth-riding car. When I first got my Prius I found myself tending to go too fast because the car feels like it's going slower than it really is. You learn to judge by the feel and the scenery going past you.

I glance at the speedometer from time to time. (I'm short enough that I can see the speedo in the Roadster.) A bigger problem in the Roadster (and maybe the Model S will do the same to a lesser extent) is speedometer lag when accelerating. If I floor it from a stop until the speedo says 35 (the limit on most streets here) I'll actually be going over 40, because it takes the speedo a moment to catch up. I learned that if I floor it I have to let off the pedal when the speedo says 30, or in a 25 mph zone I have to let off when the speedo says 20.

The Model S is quick enough that there might be a similar issue. But who wants the car bonging at you every time you go a hair over the limit?

Any new car will take getting used to. Be careful for the first wek and after that you won't need the bong, as long as you're paying attention to your driving, which you should be doing anyway.

Actually what he is talking about is setting the bong at like 70 mph so that you will know when you are speeding on the highway. It only bongs once when you pass the set limit not continuiously. And never bongs at lower speeds unless you set it very low.

Actually what he is talking about is setting the bong at like 70 mph so that you will know when you are speeding on the highway. It only bongs once when you pass the set limit not continuiously. And never bongs at lower speeds unless you set it very low.
But if you set it at 70 because the limit is 65, and then you hold your speed close to 70 because you want to drive as fast as you can get away with, it will bong every time you exceed 70. You'll slow down to 68 or 69 in response, and then it will bong again when you pass 70 again. Presumably on the highway you'll be using cruise control, so you don't need the warning anyway. But if you use the warning, rather than c/c, in order to help you stay close to your own chosen limit, you're likely to be constantly edging over and under that limit.

I use c/c when no other cars are nearby, and I follow the speed of traffic if there are. No warning bongs needed.

But if you set it at 70 because the limit is 65, and then you hold your speed close to 70 because you want to drive as fast as you can get away with, it will bong every time you exceed 70.

That's why it's got to be user-programmed. On our 400-series highways here, the speed limit is 100 kph, most traffic goes 110-120 kph, and most cops won't give you a ticket unless you're going 130 kph. So I'd probably set mine to 125 kph. It will only go bong when I'm going faster than I intend to, but before I have a large risk of a ticket. And yes, it would only bong once.

Of course if you don't like this feature, you can leave it turned off.

That's why it's got to be user-programmed. On our 400-series highways here, the speed limit is 100 kph, most traffic goes 110-120 kph, and most cops won't give you a ticket unless you're going 130 kph. So I'd probably set mine to 125 kph. It will only go bong when I'm going faster than I intend to, but before I have a large risk of a ticket. And yes, it would only bong once.

I'm all for silence; but only having it bong once doesn't make sense. You top 125kph and you get bonged, then 5 minutes later you slow down but after a short while you can speed up again without realizing and this time...what no bong? Or did I misunderstand and you get bonged every time you top 125kph in your scenario?

I'm all for silence; but only having it bong once doesn't make sense. You top 125kph and you get bonged, then 5 minutes later you slow down but after a short while you can speed up again without realizing and this time...what no bong? Or did I misunderstand and you get bonged every time you top 125kph in your scenario?

No, it would reset if your speed dropped back below the threshold. I'd probably suggest that it have a little hysteresis, so you'd have to drop say 3 kph (2 mph) below the threshold before it would reset.

Instead of a bong, why not have the background of the speedometer display change colour? You could still set the speed where it becomes the alert colour of your choice and the 95% colour of your choice. So if the background is normally blue and you've set it to 60 mph, then at 54 mph the background becomes magenta or something and when you get over 60 it becomes yellow or red.

No, it would reset if your speed dropped back below the threshold. I'd probably suggest that it have a little hysteresis, so you'd have to drop say 3 kph (2 mph) below the threshold before it would reset.

So if you hovered around the limit, sometimes faster, sometimes slower you do risk getting bonged every few minutes?

P.S. I decided I dislike the idea but do like the word "bonged"

Instead of a bong, why not have the background of the speedometer display change colour? You could still set the speed where it becomes the alert colour of your choice and the 95% colour of your choice. So if the background is normally blue and you've set it to 60 mph, then at 54 mph the background becomes magenta or something and when you get over 60 it becomes yellow or red.

In Napa Valley we have a couple permanent radar signs. Under 55 they shine yellow. At 56, they shine red. At 60, they flash red. At 65 and above, they go blank. That's what I like to do: Blank the radar signs!

The car will be quieter than other cars but tire noise and even wind noise still exist. The motor either makes a whine and/or produces RF noise that can be heard through car speakers even when they are turned off.

I've had a ride in a beta - twice. With the radio off I could not hear the drive train. With it on I did not hear any whine from it either. I couldn't hear the tires.