Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
I hadn't notice before but TeslaFi has a speed efficiency graph, so using my actual 18K miles of driving what did I consume at each speed on average. It's not what I expected.

If I ignore the lowest speeds as there just isn't enough data, I can see that anything over 55mph is about the same wh/mile, and this is lower than 30-55. Perhaps on lower speed roads I'm more likely to be accelerating so use more power, but I thought faster and motorway driving was meant to be less efficient. Maybe there's more of a cost getting to 70, but once you are there it's no big deal to maintain.

Do other people's graphs look the same, theories on why faster is better.

1629746098735.png

I hadn't notice before but TeslaFi has a speed efficiency graph, so using my actual 18K miles of driving what did I consume at each speed on average. It's not what I expected.

If I ignore the lowest speeds as there just isn't enough data, I can see that anything over 55mph is about the same wh/mile, and this is lower than 30-55. Perhaps on lower speed roads I'm more likely to be accelerating so use more power, but I thought faster and motorway driving was meant to be less efficient. Maybe there's more of a cost getting to 70, but once you are there it's no big deal to maintain.

Do other people's graphs look the same, theories on why faster is better.

View attachment 700466
Here's mine after 14,000 miles

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-204547_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-204547_Firefox.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: GRiLLA
Here's mine after 14,000 miles
You are showing percentage efficiency rather than Wh/mile (there's a toggle in the key), which seems to be in reverse (higher is better) so are likely showing something different to me, over 55mph your efficiency is lower.
Here’s mine for 13k miles in a P-

View attachment 700487

followed by mine for 1500 miles in LR (only since June so summer miles) - not sure why nothing recorded above 65mph as I’ve been on several motorway trips.

View attachment 700488
Weird how different a P- is compared to our LR, was it on Aero's or different wheels?

Last edited:
Weird how different a P- is compared to our LR, was it on Aero's or different wheels?

I removed Aero caps on both (at pickup). As you say, it’s weird - although I always had the p- in sport mode, I’d guess I wasn’t accelerating and decelerating loads in the higher speed bands, it would have been mainly in TACC on motorways and A roads. (Over 70 must have been in France 😳).

I removed Aero caps on both (at pickup). As you say, it’s weird - although I always had the p- in sport mode, I’d guess I wasn’t accelerating and decelerating loads in the higher speed bands, it would have been mainly in TACC on motorways and A roads. (Over 70 must have been in France 😳).
Congrats on doing 250miles at 10mph, that's over a day of driving :) I assume you have a home with a very long drive.

Maybe this is just a graph where they correlation between speed and wh/mile is actually so weak that other factors like weather. temperature etc have far more effect so the graph makes little sense.