Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit detect disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit sign reading is totally not working on rural roads (in Colorado). It's missing half the signs and it's consistently reading 65 as 45. This makes auto-pilot useless! And it can't be turned off--I've tried everything. I'm amazed more people aren't having this problem. I guess people don't drive on rural roads much?

even worse... it completely ignores the "flashing" school zone speed limit signs (yellow signs in Texas with flashing lights if the speed limit is active because it's during certain times). Seems like a fairly straight forward thing to detect... but nope. that's why all this FSD on city streets talk is funny ... or not ... going 45mph through a school zone is certainly a safety issue

Reactions: cdswm3 and cstork
Same issue here in Texas. I end up having to use TACC in situations where full on autopilot worked before. Been using the "bug report" voice command when I see this happen although I have this cynical thought that these reports go nowhere or just mark a timestamp in the car's logs.
Correct. I believe they are only read when you take it in for service.

even worse... it completely ignores the "flashing" school zone speed limit signs (yellow signs in Texas with flashing lights if the speed limit is active because it's during certain times). Seems like a fairly straight forward thing to detect... but nope. that's why all this FSD on city streets talk is funny ... or not ... going 45mph through a school zone is certainly a safety issue
Easy solution, close your schools due to Covid. Best part of Covid for me so far. School zones everywhere near where i live. If not that, then buses with blinking yellow lights. Not happening now cuz schools are all teaching remotely. Good for them.

Apparently, a bit of electrical tape or a unfortunately-placed bit of schmutz can change the speed limit from 65 to 85.

On a 2015 Model S with AP1 hardware- sure can.

Same with anybody using the old Mobileye system other car makers also use.

I'm unaware of any evidence showing the newer AP systems have such concerns though. Do you have some?

Just got done with a 5000 miles in 7 days. I have a very much dislike towards the new sign reader junk. As in take me to 80 mph then back to 45 as the map didn't match up with read from sign. Dozen of times. Hundreds of miles not on AP all along major interstates. I love AP, but not at 50 max in a 80. Has taken the joy of my road tripping away.

Edit: It also really sucks at reading signs placed higher. You know some states have snow. Signs are placed higher there.

Reactions: cstork
On a 2015 Model S with AP1 hardware- sure can.

Same with anybody using the old Mobileye system other car makers also use.

I'm unaware of any evidence showing the newer AP systems have such concerns though. Do you have some?

There's no reason to believe that a sign which reads 85 to anybody driving by wouldn't also be read as 85 by AP2.0+.

There's no reason to believe that a sign which reads 85 to anybody driving by wouldn't also be read as 85 by AP2.0+.

Sure.

There's also no reason to believe that a sign with an "unfortunately-placed bit of schmutz" that might trick a 2015-era mobileye system into reading it as 85 would be read as 85 by either AP2+ or a human though.

By all means if you're aware of any testing of this kinda stuff on AP2+ HW please post a link.

To my knowledge it's only the mobileye systems that have been demoed to be vulnerable to this so far though and Tesla hasn't used them in 4 years now.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
There's also no reason to believe that a sign with an "unfortunately-placed bit of schmutz" that might trick a 2015-era mobileye system into reading it as 85 would be read as 85 by either AP2+ or a human though.

By all means if you're aware of any testing of this kinda stuff on AP2+ HW please post a link.

To my knowledge it's only the mobileye systems that have been demoed to be vulnerable to this so far though and Tesla hasn't used them in 4 years now.

This is pretty basic OCR stuff though, and would be a totally expected result if it looked close enough to fool humans.

Do note that the original "hack" was from 35 to 85 (and it didn't look like 85 to a human) with a single piece of straight tape, not 65 to 85. Not exactly the same thing we're talking about here.

I'm near the end of driving all of route 66, which has tons of sections on mis- or not-labeled roads. For whatever reason the car defaults to 45 everywhere it can't decide what the speed limit is. And it misses something like 75% of the signs as I drive past them. The speed limit sign reading is a joke.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and cstork
This is pretty basic OCR stuff though, and would be a totally expected result if it looked close enough to fool humans.

Do note that the original "hack" was from 35 to 85 (and it didn't look like 85 to a human) with a single piece of straight tape, not 65 to 85. Not exactly the same thing we're talking about here.

FWIW I agree if it'd fool a human it'd likely fool any version of driving software right now.

Though probably worth noting Tesla supposedly is reading signs in a different way than Mobileye (which was more easily fooled but such things) is reading signs, so as not to infringe on MEs patent- though (other than them having said patent) this is based somewhat on speculation.

Easy solution, close your schools due to Covid. Best part of Covid for me so far. School zones everywhere near where i live. If not that, then buses with blinking yellow lights. Not happening now cuz schools are all teaching remotely. Good for them.

funny schools were the 1st to close, last to open in AZ. Meanwhile we have football with spectators and the governor was complaining about college sports :(

The speed limit sign reading is totally not working on rural roads (in Colorado). It's missing half the signs and it's consistently reading 65 as 45. This makes auto-pilot useless! And it can't be turned off--I've tried everything. I'm amazed more people aren't having this problem. I guess people don't drive on rural roads much?
Mine works as well as yours in Nebraska (not good at all). I was hoping the "sign reading" update would fix my incorrect speed limits on roads I drive every day, but it made them worse and inconsistent. Hopefully Tesla fixes this soon with an update.

The speed limits here all went up by 5 MPH two years ago (2 years!) and most of them in the rural paved roads that I drive are still wrong in the database. They show up as 60 MPH when they should be 65 MPH. Since they are unprotected roads, FSD limits me to 5 over, or 65 MPH. But I like to drive 3 over (68 MPH). Before the "sign reading" update I just held my foot on the accelerator to override the limit and go 65 MPH. Now with the newest updates, the car thinks that the 65 MPH roads are still 60 MPH or in random sections it thinks they are 45 MPH.