Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit detect disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a stretch of I-5 southbound in Medford, OR where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55. The car has never been aware of this in the map data. When we got the sign reading feature, I figured that would save the day. Well, in maybe half a dozen passes by that 55 sign, the car has yet to notice it, so it still thinks it's in a 65. I'm not sure why it misses that sign; I've found it to be very good at most speed limit signs.

The sign reading for me is basically useless as where I need it the most (freeway), it's not able to read yet. I never had much of an issue on local roads before, so it doesn't do for much for me there when it works. It's certainly not ready for prime time.

I have discovered after a month of so with the latest update(s) in Colorado that 65 mph speed limit signs are just not recognized on rural non-interstate roads. They are seen on interstates for road construction, but not on two lane highways were the speed limit is 65. Highway 85 going north of Greeley Colorado the speed limit is 65 and the Tesla thinks it is 50 and passed several speed limits signs and never changed and probably 20 plus miles you can't use autopilot unless you want to drive 10 under the speed limit. It finally changed to 65 like a mile before Wyoming. Also Highway 14 between Ault, Co and Highway 71 there are several segments on that road it thinks it is 50 mph even though there are several 65 mph signs. The most ridiculous though, between Ault, CO and I-25 on that same highway, there was a section my model 3 thought it was 45 mph speed limit with several signs that said it was 65 mph. I have tweeted Tesla these inconsistencies but I am not sure what other format there is the note these issues.

• Informative
Reactions: cstork and SlimJim
Mine seems flawless with the standard black text on white rectangle signs. It does not see the yellow speed-reduced-at-curve signs at all. Are those not DOT standards?
9ae14eebfa63cca6dcc3c4fc4fde188c.jpg

It would be nice if Tesla would offer an override ability and allow the driver to manually input the speed you'd like TACC/AP to observe.

Speed limit sign recognition works pretty well here, but there are a couple spots where it doesn't read the signs, and the database is way off on what it thinks the speed limit should be. In a few cases, it thinks that 25 mph zones are actually 40 (caused by new neighborhoods popping up).

Since version 40, I've found the sign recognition accurate and helpful, especially in construction areas where there are temporary reduced limits posted that differ from what's in the map data. Nice.

Hey, speaking of speed limits, I have a question. A couple of updates ago (36?) the release notes said that in addition to touching the little speed limit sign to adjust your set speed, you can now also touch the speedometer (or something like that). I've touched all over the place, and for me it still seems to only respond to touching the speed limit sign graphic. Has anyone figured this out?

Hey, speaking of speed limits, I have a question. A couple of updates ago (36?) the release notes said that in addition to touching the little speed limit sign to adjust your set speed, you can now also touch the speedometer (or something like that). I've touched all over the place, and for me it still seems to only respond to touching the speed limit sign graphic. Has anyone figured this out?

I went through the same thing, touching everywhere and saying, "WTH?"

I think it means this: If you touch the displayed current speed on the display (the biggest number at the top), it will stay at that speed. For example, speed limit is 55 MPH, and you're autopiloting along at 57. Then you press the accelerator and accelerate to 61. You then touch the displayed speed, and the car will keep driving at 61.

That's how I remember it—could be wrong.

One issue I ran in to is that I have a stretch of road near where I am that doesn't have a speed limit sign, HOWEVER there is a 'End 35MPH' sign right after the intersection. So the car sees the "35" sign and set the speed limit to 35 when it's really 55. I can't use autopilot obviously when that happens.

No big deal I guess.

Still occurring in April 2021 - In my Model 3, I used to be able to Auto Pilot the 1/2 hour stretch of highway to work which is 65 mph the whole way. Now it thinks it is 55 mph most of the way. Used to enjoy the auto pilot feature (paid for FSD). Now, driving is just like any other car. Also, on some stretches of 55 mph roads where there is a service road that parallels it but 25 mph, the car will see the 25 mph in the distance and set the speed to that for the main road. Again, no auto pilot there anymore. I noticed many places on other highways where there will be a 55 mph for trucks with trailers but the highway is 65 mph but the speed limit sign detection system sets it to 55.

Reactions: Catman20009
Yup, I'm still having this problem in a few spots in my area as well.

I've watched waaaaay too many YouTube videos on the new code base FSD Beta, and I remember hearing in at least one video a guy mentioning he was no longer having this exact issue.

They probably haven't bothered to fix it in the current code branch as we'll all be switching over to the new code base branch Real Soon Now (TM).