TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Speed limit detect failing--can it be disabled?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by cstork, Sep 19, 2020.

1. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

I took a 120 mile drive in Colorado on a 2 lane highway yesterday and the new auto speed limit sign detector failed quite a bit. It kept reading the speed as 45 when the sign said 65 !?! It made autopilot useless. Is it possible to disable the sign detector and go to how things were before the recent upgrade?

• Helpful x 1
  2. Lexdysic

Lexdysic Member

It is frustrating, and can actually be dangerous if the speed variance is drastic. It's a big change from 65mph to 25mph, and the traffic behind doesn't expect your car to drastically slow down.

I've only experienced this once so far, but the incorrect reading did cause an adverse situation and I had to immediately step on the accelerator.

• Like x 1
  3. john5520

john5520 Member

Did the screen visualization show the speed signs as you were passing them? I ask because it could have been relying on mapping data on that stretch of the road. And the data is often wrong in some places. Also, the speed limit reading may not work on the freeway yet(for me, it ignores them completely).

4. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

Yes, it was definitely the speed limit signs. I was driving at ~70, so perhaps the sign reading doesn't work well at high speeds.

5. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

You can turn off speed sign reading by disabling that new beta feature you turned on.

I bet it’s map data too.

• Disagree x 1
  6. BM3LRPUP19

BM3LRPUP19 Member

I’m currently on a road trip from California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado, speed limit detection has been really bad in Colorado and Utah making nav on ap useless for hundreds of miles, seeems to detection slower but never speeds back up to 65.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1