Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit detect failing--can it be disabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a 120 mile drive in Colorado on a 2 lane highway yesterday and the new auto speed limit sign detector failed quite a bit. It kept reading the speed as 45 when the sign said 65 !?! It made autopilot useless. Is it possible to disable the sign detector and go to how things were before the recent upgrade?

• Helpful
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
It is frustrating, and can actually be dangerous if the speed variance is drastic. It's a big change from 65mph to 25mph, and the traffic behind doesn't expect your car to drastically slow down.

I've only experienced this once so far, but the incorrect reading did cause an adverse situation and I had to immediately step on the accelerator.

Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
I took a 120 mile drive in Colorado on a 2 lane highway yesterday and the new auto speed limit sign detector failed quite a bit. It kept reading the speed as 45 when the sign said 65 !?! It made autopilot useless. Is it possible to disable the sign detector and go to how things were before the recent upgrade?

Did the screen visualization show the speed signs as you were passing them? I ask because it could have been relying on mapping data on that stretch of the road. And the data is often wrong in some places. Also, the speed limit reading may not work on the freeway yet(for me, it ignores them completely).

Did the screen visualization show the speed signs as you were passing them? I ask because it could have been relying on mapping data on that stretch of the road. And the data is often wrong in some places. Also, the speed limit reading may not work on the freeway yet(for me, it ignores them completely).
Yes, it was definitely the speed limit signs. I was driving at ~70, so perhaps the sign reading doesn't work well at high speeds.

I’m currently on a road trip from California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado, speed limit detection has been really bad in Colorado and Utah making nav on ap useless for hundreds of miles, seeems to detection slower but never speeds back up to 65.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and cstork