Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limit Function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever tried the speed limit setting in the app? I'm participating in a driver monitoring program using a phone app that will hopefully lead to discounted insurance premium. One of the factors it takes into account is the number and degree of speed limit exceedances, so I thought I'd set a constraint in the app so I don't inadvertently drive too fast. I have set it to 120 km/h, but now I find that autopilot can't be adjusted to more than 109 km/h and in manual mode the car actually stops tops out at 118. I don't understand why the autopilot limit would be so low, and why a digitally-controlled vehicle can't reach the exact limit that I set. I also got a phone notification for coming within 5 km/h of the limit, which I'm hope I can turn off. I guess this is good feature as a parental control but the implementation in the car seems odd.

Another update on this feature - I discovered that when the speed limit is activated in the app (BTW it requires a PIN code to turn it off again), the driver is also blocked from changing the acceleration mode to Standard. I already had Chill selected but I'm presuming the app also imposes that restriction when there's a speed limit set. I guess that's another aspect of how this works as a parental control. As such, it actually seems well thought out but as a strict speed limiter I'm still wondering why autopilot is restricted to 91% of the maximum speed. I did manage to get the car up to the limit today, so my previous experience can be ignored.