Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently (well two months ago) the speed limit in France on rural roads has gone down from 90 to 80 kmh. But my tesla still believes in the old speed so every time I activate the speed limiter it has it wrong. I was told by the staff in Bordeaux (nice people btw) that this has to be solved by HQ. But I was really not expecting to wait so long and to get no update or information.

Does anybody has any information about this?

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Is is very unhelpful that this has not been fixed by Tesla - other gps systems received an update. It is significant because it affects every minor road in the whole country.

I have reported the issue to EU service and also used the “escalate” button on my Tesla account. I suggest you do the same. However you will need to explain it in very simple language as they completely misunderstood on the first time around.

I don’t know, but your other options include:
- email [email protected]
- use the escalate button on your Tesla.com account page
- email [email protected]

My attempts got nowhere but if lots of people complain perhaps they will understand.

My favourite erroneous reply so far was “Using our latest live navigation system you have access to updated speed limits and all information needed.”. Except if you get a speeding ticket on any of the 400,000km of roads where the car shows the wrong limit, that is!

You don't have speed limit signs telling you this?

No. It appears to be complete chaos, with some départments refusing to change signs, others changing them but slowly. And speed limits can be implied by town limit signs and other things. For a newcomer it is utterly confusing and exactly the sort of place where looking down at the Tesla display should make life easier. Not even more confusing.

No. It appears to be complete chaos, with some départments refusing to change signs, others changing them but slowly. And speed limits can be implied by town limit signs and other things. For a newcomer it is utterly confusing and exactly the sort of place where looking down at the Tesla display should make life easier. Not even more confusing.
Curious. Waze has people manually update the maps for the speed limits. Does Waze show these areas accurately? The fallback may have to be using waze as the verification of the speed limit.

You don't have speed limit signs telling you this?

Yes, but to simplify things they may just inform the driver that the default speed limit is now in force, as in this:
Town sign - Wikipedia
(with a red diagonal),
or the sign may just be a white circle with a black diagonal:
https://www.bussgeldkatalog-mpu.de/...rsschild-eb6bed0e74c4d08g5924b8624efcc85a.jpg

The justification for this simplification is exactly the expectation that the driver knows the default speed limit.

Curious. Waze has people manually update the maps for the speed limits. Does Waze show these areas accurately? The fallback may have to be using waze as the verification of the speed limit.

Sure Waze has the correct information but it is a pain in the neck to have to adapt the speed EVERY single time you activate the autopilot. And every time you drive through a small village you end up going too fast when you exit it. Read somewhere that French users are planning to ask Tesla to pay the fines and to be honest, after this being an issue for months that starts to sound reasonable.

Waze is fine, but it does not tell my car how fast it can go.

Reactions: SpudLime
I got a response from the "escalate" facility on my Tesla account:
"Our Engineering team ... confirmed with us that they have built a new map containing the updated speed limits which is undergoing testing to ensure the safest experience for our customers. The map will be updated once it has been signed off by the appropriate departments."

That was a week ago, so presumably an update is coming "soon" (in the traditional Tesla time).

Hey that's good news. but it has the smell of BS unfortunately. The database has no speed per section of road but per TYPE of road. And the type has now 90 KMh where it should be 80 KMh. That's why almost every nav system I know could switch the same date the the French switched the speed.

Btw, the lower speed make good sense and it sure makes driving the Model S I got a lot cooler. I can now do road in auto mode that could not be done at 90 KMh.