Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit issue, bug report, analysis, fix suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends,

I am a programmer and I made a video to explain a bug around "max speed", with root cause analysis an a fix suggestion (actually two fix suggestions). It this a good place to get feedback back to Tesla on such things? Do others agree or disagree with the bug report, analysis, and fix suggestions?

In Short, idea is please rename the "max" speed, to "manual" speed, with a blue box around the word and number ("e.g. manual 80") to activate, and then click again to remove the blue box and deactivate it. So normalized operation (manual deselected), e.g. based on software settings, will always set the speed of the robot to the max speed (see autopilot settings). Then if driver knows better than robot, tab on "manual" and get a blue box around the same, meaning that you are in manual override mode for robot ground speed. Please also consider saving last 4 speedlimits and, again in the spirit of manual override, let the driver tab on the speed limit and manually select one of the last four speedlimit, in the case that the robot missed a sign.

Thanks,
Tom

Agreed. I would characterize the two problems like this:

1. Instead of "Max," I think it should say "Target" or "Set."
2. When the speed limit changes, the car's target should change to that. Duh.

I suspect problem 2 is intentional to avoid liability somehow, but not changing to a new limit, especially when the limit decreases, is dumb. And easily fixed.

PS there are some instances in which the car will automatically change speed to 5 mph over the limit. There's a section of road near me where the speed limit changes from 55 to 45 to 35 to 45 and to 55. In that situation the car goes from 55 to 50 to 40 to 50 and back to 55 without any intervention. It should go from 55 to 45 to 35 to 45 and back to 55.

It this a good place to get feedback back to Tesla on such things?

There really is no place for that (to get feedback back to tesla on such things (here or otherwise). This subforum is not affiliated in any way with "Tesla inc" and moderators here are for the most part volunteers and not affiliated with tesla in any way other than most mods own some tesla products so are familiar with them.

What feedback tesla does get is at a macro level, so if there is enough "internet noise" on something, they will tend to see it, but they dont even have a PR department, they got rid of it.

There may be incognito tesla employees here on TMC sometimes, but to answer your question, There is no place on line that is "good to get feedback to tesla on such things" unless you can get major traction on something on a bunch of different websites, and even then, they may or may not pay attention to it (see feedback on software version 11).

Since your feedback is on the UI, I have moved the post to the software subforum where discussion on TMC about software is supposed to go. Whether anyone from tesla ever sees it however is anyones guess.