TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Speed limit mode and chill

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Darthbenji, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Is there a way to simply set the top speed without limiting acceleration? I want it for myself to avoid having the car impounded for speeding but don’t want to lose acceleration.

2. mekberg

mekberg Member

Set top speed in mobile app assuming you're on 24.X

3. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

genius!

4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

So, how fast is too fast?

5. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Errr
    Hate to point out but the speed limiter isn’t based on the local speed limit.
    So setting it to limit at 70mph will still allow you to do 70 in a 25 zone.

6. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

What about simply avoiding speeding to the extent that would cause your car to be impounded?

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I thought if you enabled it no matter how, it did the limit and chill? No?

And, yeah, the problem is it's a global limit. Not X+local.

8. mekberg

mekberg Member

I didn't realize speed limit mode also forced chill - my bad.

9. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

I have 26.3 and it automatically turns on chill.

As far as not speeding to the point of impoundment, that’s what I’m trying to prevent. Precisely. As you all know a quick overtake can get your speed up rapidly. I’ve caught myself once or twice at a speed I didn’t want to be at. All it takes is one error and a laser beam reading.

I realize it’s not set to a speed limit + amount but rather a maximum speed. That’s fine. I’d like 130Km/h as the top. I don’t want to lose acceleration from 0 as a result.

10. KenF

KenF Member

I too would like the ability to limit the extent to which the driver can exceed the speed limit. I want the car to allow 70mph in a 55mph zone, but I don’t want the car to allow more than 40mph in a 25mph zone.

11. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Ya I thought of that. To be honest it’s not for me. After careful consideration I’ve realized there will always be someone holding up traffic in the left lane that I’ll eventually have the opportunity to get around and I’ll take it. Pissed off too. So I’ll hit the accelerator and exceed the limit by more than I intended. I’m pretty self aware so I’m trying to take steps to avoid a hefty infraction. A small one that doesn’t require me walking home is one I can live with. Thanks for the suggestion though. While I know you thought it was a rhetorical question, and to some it would be, to me it wasn’t.