Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit of 40 detected, missed detecting the 70; how to tell the car it is 70?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened today... can this be cleared/corrected?
Tapping TACC will drive based on the detected 40 sign.

This happens to me every time I turn onto the highway near my house, I'm stuck at 30mph even though it's 55mph, and there's not another speed limit sign for another 6 miles. I'd love to be able to override as well, but I've never heard of a way to do it.

Once again, the option for "dumb cruise control" would solve this, but we are not given that choice...

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
If not using Autosteer, you should be able to manually set TACC up to 90 MPH (or 80 MPH in a radarless Tesla.)

My wife's Equinox (2020) allows the driver to toggle between Chevy's camera-only version of TACC and ordinary CC. Chevy's TACC is not as refined as the MobilEye-based AP1 on my old 2015 P85DL. It's very late-hard braking.

I am also hamstrung to 35mph in a 55mph zone for several miles on a highway near my house due to a lack of visible speed limit signs. It would be nice if the car could fall back to speed limit data stored with the mapping data (a la Google Maps) in the absence of a readable speed limit sign, and only override if/when a different speed limit sign is read by the cameras.

There is a beautiful 64 bypass around Asheboro, NC that has been open since last December. It’s 14 miles of divided four-lane freeway with 65 mph signs clearly posted. I drove it today and like always the posted speed doesn’t display and the autopilot defaults to 45 mph. The car definitely ignores the 65 mph signs.

I have to either use the accelerator on autopilot or steer with cruise control to maintain the posted speed limit.

I just found this in the manual, and will try it tomorrow...
1634990917276.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Petermcg
Sure, but it is not the solution to the problem... :)
It is A solution to the problem, depending on how you frame the question. What's the actual problem? Can you drive the car the right speed? Yes? In that sense, there is no problem.

Can FSD work now? In this sense of the problem, there is no solution, and the answer is no, it can't work right. This is one reason FSD is doomed. Another is fall leaves in the road. Can't find the lane. Woops.

This happens to me every time I turn onto the highway near my house, I'm stuck at 30mph even though it's 55mph, and there's not another speed limit sign for another 6 miles. I'd love to be able to override as well, but I've never heard of a way to do it.

Once again, the option for "dumb cruise control" would solve this, but we are not given that choice...
Auto cruise control doesn't care about speed limits... use that instead of Autopilot.

Sure, but it is not the solution to the problem... :)

Change your defaults so when you set cruise control, it sets to the speed you are driving and not to the speed limit the car has detected. That always made much more sense to me, and that's how most cars work. I like to set my cruise control when I am driving through a school zone so I can keep the school zone speed. Before I changed the default setting, the car would want to speed up to the normal speed limit rather than the slower speed I was driving. In your situation, if you are driving 70 and set cruise control, it will keep 70 and not slow down to 40.

Reactions: OxBrew