Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit sign camera - USA vs. Europe / UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
School zones are probably not the best place to be using autopilot, a feature intended for on-ramp to off-ramp highway cruising, so I'd say this edge case is explicitly out of scope.

Do you actually have school zones in the middle of highways where you live? I'd say in that case it would be on you, the driver, to recognize it was time to disengage autopilot and take over manual control.

I'm not talking about the autopilot, only the intelligent cruise control. That can be used anywhere, not just onramp-to-offramp driving.

As for school zones, not everyone lives in town. Here in rural Texas there are plenty of schools out in the middle of nowhere. Even in town, many people like to use the cruise on boulevard type streets where there is a fairly long distance between stoplights. I'm not concerned about the car not slowing down for a school zone. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm worried about driving around during non-school zone times and having the car pick up the school speed limit sign and slowing down anyway when you, and the traffic behind you, isn't expecting it. That goes for in town or on the highway. It wouldn't be so bad if the cruise could function as a "dumb" cruise control, but it's my understand is that it can't right now.

In the first screenshot which is near Texas Motor Speedway, the speed limit is 60mph. In the second, near Eagles Canyon Raceway NW of Ft. Worth, the speed limit is 50. Both of these locations are on roads that I drive quite frequently and have several miles of wide open highway before hitting the school zone areas.

Northwest school limit 02.jpg

slidell 01.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the autopilot, only the intelligent cruise control. That can be used anywhere, not just onramp-to-offramp driving.
As for school zones, not everyone lives in town. Here in rural Texas there are plenty of schools out in the middle of nowhere. Even in town, many people like to use the cruise on boulevard type streets where there is a fairly long distance between stoplights. I'm not concerned about the car not slowing down for a school zone. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm worried about driving around during non-school zone times and having the car pick up the school speed limit sign and slowing down anyway when you, and the traffic behind you, isn't expecting it.
There is currently another thread about how TACC works with Speed Assist that you should read, but the bottom line is that TAAC will not automatically slow down or speed up when the speed limit changes on a road. Speed Assist will show an indication on the speedo when the car is going above or below the speed limit. If you are driving with TACC on, you can have it adjust to the speed limit change (plus or minus the offset you have set) by pulling the stalk towards you and holding for a second or so.

So when TACC is running it WILL NOT automatically change speed when the speed limit changes.

There is currently another thread about how TACC works with Speed Assist that you should read, but the bottom line is that TAAC will not automatically slow down or speed up when the speed limit changes on a road. Speed Assist will show an indication on the speedo when the car is going above or below the speed limit. If you are driving with TACC on, you can have it adjust to the speed limit change (plus or minus the offset you have set) by pulling the stalk towards you and holding for a second or so.

So when TACC is running it WILL NOT automatically change speed when the speed limit changes.

My bad. I was under the impression that the the automatic speed changes were already functional even though the full autopilot was not (yet). It will be pretty soon, however, and I still have to wonder how it will handle those signs along with "suggested speed" signs on curves and freeway ramps. I'll check out that other thread. Thanks.