Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limit Sign Reading Coming Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Owner’s Manual now states Model 3 detects speed limit signs • r/teslamotors

Saw this on Reddit today. This is the killer feature I have been waiting for!!!! I hope it is true.

I have the perfect testing ground on my commute, as it is 20 miles of 65mph marked signs that AP1 reads, but AP2 thinks is 45mph max as it doesnt have GPS data.

It probably has GPS data as long as the sky is open (not in a tunnel). It just doesn't have AT&T data (I think Tesla uses AT&T in US) so it can't pull the speed limit off the net. I swear that AT&T is getting worst and worst coverage in Greater LA area. In areas I am getting 5 bars on Verizon and T-mobile, AT&T is at 1 bar.

Model 3 Owner’s Manual now states Model 3 detects speed limit signs • r/teslamotors

Saw this on Reddit today. This is the killer feature I have been waiting for!!!! I hope it is true.

I have the perfect testing ground on my commute, as it is 20 miles of 65mph marked signs that AP1 reads, but AP2 thinks is 45mph max as it doesnt have GPS data.

I think that section is just a copy/paste and isn't up to date. (The older manuals all the way back to January says exactly the same thing.)

The most tell part is at the top of the section: "When the Speed Limit Warning is turned on, the touchscreen displays a speed limit as determined by GPS data." It doesn't say anything about signs or cameras.

The most tell part is at the top of the section: "When the Speed Limit Warning is turned on, the touchscreen displays a speed limit as determined by GPS data." It doesn't say anything about signs or cameras.

The screenshot is from the in-car manual, which is sometimes different than the online ones. I am not near my car, but the question is if that paragraph is still there.

I also dont have the latest firmware (still on 42.2).

I wish the fellow on Reddit had posted a screenshot of what is right above what he posted.

Edit: possible false alarm on this. I walked out to my car and as of 42.2 it still has the paragraph about GPS speed limit assist.

Last edited: