Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limit Sign Recognition - 2020.36

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the 2020.36 firmware load last Monday, I was excited to get the feature I've waited the longest for - Speed Limit sign recognition. I happened to be in the middle of an 800 mile round trip for work, so I was happy I would be able to actually test and use this feature on my way back home on Thursday. After that drive and many other local drives over the Labor Day weekend, I think I've figured out this latest firmware - the SL sign recognition only works on, as indicated in the notes, on LOCAL roads (not on Interstate highways). You won't even see the rendering of the sign on the display as you pass it while on an Interstate highway if the sign doesn't jibe with the GPS data from Google Maps. Works pretty well on "local" roads, though. On my own street, my car tells me the speed limit is 35 mph when I pull out of my driveway but it corrects itself when we get to the sign halfway down my street. Pretty cool. I guess Tesla is "testing" this feature on local roads before rolling it out for freeways, which is where it'll have the biggest impact. I'm wondering, though, if it'll react to the lighted, digital SL signs that are used in construction areas. Anybody tested this on a non-highway scenario?

Reactions: Allanf
One major plus is the speed limit is detected exactly when you are perpendicular to the sign. The previous gps location speed limit was only approximate when it changes speeds. Now the car immediately identifies speed zone changes and adjusts speed accordingly. It always lagged before.

Reactions: scottf200
What about school zones/ 25mph, when school is not in session? I wish it could read the school zone underneath the 25mph, and message “gently tap accelerator if school not in session “.
Today my S recognized one such speed zone sign with lettering over the speed limit but ignored others - didn’t pay enough attention to see if it was a school zone they recognized. Looks like Tesla is already on its second dot release of 2020.36 per Teslafi - likely they will improve this over time. I would like the option to have car automatically adjust speed when the speed limit changes for whatever reason.

Today my S recognized one such speed zone sign with lettering over the speed limit but ignored others - didn’t pay enough attention to see if it was a school zone they recognized. Looks like Tesla is already on its second dot release of 2020.36 per Teslafi - likely they will improve this over time. I would like the option to have car automatically adjust speed when the speed limit changes for whatever reason.
It might be difficult for school zones when a time of day parameter is displayed under the school zone limit. I wouldn't think it could read the small font on the sign. My car read the school zone limit and adjusted. The problem was I was not within the time of day parameter.

Encountered a new class of speed limit problem with the new speed limit sign detection (updated to 36.3.1 today)...

Driving through a school zone, AP slowed down to 25 MPH, even though the school zone wasn't active (outside of the posted hours, the school zone warning lights weren't flashing).

So it's great that the speed limit sign was detected.

But now the software has to be smart enough to determine when speed limits are conditional - such as active times or flashing warning lights...

Prior to the speed limit sign detection, AP drove through the school zone maintaining the posted 40 MPH speed (or +5, based on our settings).