Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit sign recognition coming in next update to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the speed sign recognition update:
Anybody noticed that sometimes on rural roads once you pass an intersection the speed limit will switch to 30 and stay like that till next speed limit sign? Very annoying when it does that from 80 to 30...

Yes, there's definitely some quirks in it:
1. I just drove past the entrance to an orchard where they've put up a 5km/h sign at the top of their lane; sure enough the car somehow spotted it as I drove by at 70km/h and I was suddenly set to 15km/h max! Not abrupt or anything but definitely not ideal.

2. I recently went past roadworks with a reduced limit and the car stayed at that limit well past them because there was no sign for the regular limit after them. Not sure if roadworks are supposed to post a sign with the regular limit at their exit but these guys didn't and I'm sure others won't.

Great tech but definitely still beta! It's another reason (along with winter) why I think complete-FSD is still a very long way off. I'm a big fan and bought it on my 3 (silly in hindsight since I only kept it for two years) but I'll hang fire on my Y.

I mentioned in another thread that I drive through a roundabout on an 80Kmph road and it correctly changes to 20Kmph. However, it remains at 20Km/h until it gets to the next 80Kmph sign.

Also, it does not know what to do with conditional speed limits such as "50Kmph when flashing" in a normal 60 kmph zone.

I mentioned in another thread that I drive through a roundabout on an 80Kmph road and it correctly changes to 20Kmph. However, it remains at 20Km/h until it gets to the next 80Kmph sign.

Also, it does not know what to do with conditional speed limits such as "50Kmph when flashing" in a normal 60 kmph zone.
not yet. But who knows what this new rewrite will do...

Yes, there's definitely some quirks in it:

2. I recently went past roadworks with a reduced limit and the car stayed at that limit well past them because there was no sign for the regular limit after them. Not sure if roadworks are supposed to post a sign with the regular limit at their exit but these guys didn't and I'm sure others won't.
That reminds me of a coded description I once heard from an IT person. “That is a bio-side interface input problem.” i.e., the human is not providing good input data. :)

I expect to have a similar “bio-side interface input problem“ in BC school zones. BC puts 30 km/hr speed limit signs when entering a school zone. I have rarely seen a change in speed limit sign back up to 50 km/hr when leaving a school zone. Drivers are expected to guess for themselves when they are leaving a school zone. :(

BC puts 30 km/hr speed limit signs when entering a school zone. I have rarely seen a change in speed limit sign back up to 50 km/hr when leaving a school zone. Drivers are expected to guess for themselves when they are leaving a school zone. :(
Here we have signs saying something like "restricted speed zone ends". A lot to ask for the Tesla to read and understand that.

Reactions: Vawlkus