Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit sign recognition sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new update, 2022.20.6 and .7, the car misses a lot of obvious speed limit signs. This is on rural 2 lane highways in Colorado. As a result, autopilot will often restrict me to going 50-60 in 65 zone. This makes autopilot useless....! I note that Google Maps is giving me the correct speed limit. I also note that Tesla changes what it thinks the speed limit is even when there is no sign. So it must be using a database, which is pretty bad! Sigh.

I'm running the current FSD Beta. In that one, rolling the right scroll wheel gives me a lot of authority to adjust the target speed without dropping a level of automation.

Around here this is important to me in two ways:
1. It lets me tell it to ignore the 45 mph it picked up from the sign it read on the frontage road when I am actually on I-40, and instead use 65 mph (the real limit)
2. it lets me tell it to use 17 instead of 25 when I am approaching speed bumps that lack the painting it needs to detect them.

Yes, I wish it did a better job of reading and using speed limit signs, but my life got better when I "found the knob".

Reactions: HelloJP
Set AP to current speed, not speed offset. Total control
That was the mode I had set in mid-June when I finally got admitted to FSD Beta. My profile for FSD beta is set to speed limit. My wife's profile is set to current speed. The option to change is greyed out. I suppose I have an FSD Beta bug, or just something fouled up in my particular car.

Anyway, I don't get to see how FSD beta behaves with the current speed option active.

Grumble.

Agree. I drove on US-2 through upper Michigan and the nav didn't know the speed limit (65) or the camera missed the speed limit sign. Tesla nav should be as comprehensive as Google maps one would think even if the camera misses a sign.

Reactions: cstork
I haven't noticed anything noticeably different in 2022.20.7. AP speed control has always been hit-or-miss for me, usually picking up speed decreases, but not increases. In town, there's a change from 35mph to 25mph where AP picks up the sign and reduces my max speed from 40mph to 30mph (+5mph offset). Going in the other direction when the speed limit increases, the speed limit change is picked up by the cameras, but the max speed of my car stays at 30mph until I manually increase it. On the freeway, speed decreases seem to be picked up maybe half the time, but speed increases are always manual.

Same here. I thought it was just my car. Since the install of 2022.20.7 the car missed 3 speed limit signs on Saturday before finally recognizing the 4 th one.

This was on a 266-mile road trip that I take every 4-5 weeks on a lightly traveled 4-lane divided highway. I’ve got nothing better to do (beyond paying attention to the road) than to monitor the car and listen to music.

I will say that TACC performed nearly flawlessly on this firmware. One minor “lift” of the throttle while cresting a small rise. Speed dropped less than 1 mph.

Reactions: OxBrew and cstork
The 20.x versions have been problematic for recognizing speed signs that are taller than normal. I can see on the visualization that the Tesla is seeing the post, but not the sign. This has been an intermittent problem for my M3 over version changes, but the signs it cannot recognize remain the same...too tall.

Reactions: cstork
Regression bucket has a leak.
The 20.x versions have been problematic for recognizing speed signs that are taller than normal. I can see on the visualization that the Tesla is seeing the post, but not the sign. This has been an intermittent problem for my M3 over version changes, but the signs it cannot recognize remain the same...too tall.
Regression bucket is more like a regression sieve.

Reactions: shoemakj
I am driving a Model Y LR 2023 in rural Washington State. Autopilot clearly does not understand speed limits out here. 50 MPH is the default unless otherwise posted. Instead, Autopilot sets the speed to 25 MPH unless it sees and recognizes (as it does erratically) a white speed limit sign. It does not seem to recognize a yellow 'Reduce speed to xx' sign ever. I'm concerned that it may be dinging my 'safe driver' rating as I'm mostly driving the real speed limit, 50, when Tesla thinks I'm in a 25 zone. Likewise, in '25mph when children are present'. It would seem to make sense to have a feature where users could report the actual speed limits to update the model, but there is no way now to contact customer support at all to suggest such, or find out if Tesla is dinging you for exceeding what it erroneously believes the speed limit to be. Google Map, by the way, knows much more about speed limits, as others have noted.