Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limit Signs not detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All.

I noticed something that I'm not really sure Tesla can fix or improve upon. I noticed this was I was on the road near Norfolk, VA on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I noticed their signs were set a bit high and on the arm of the bridge. I noticed my model Y did not pick up or register the new speed limit. I adjusted accordingly, of course.

But I live in the Catskills area of NY and sometimes a speed limit sign is up high and it does not register either. There seems to be a pattern here, and I'm not sure if Telsa can even fix this since they can't control how high those signs are placed.

Another thing I noticed is the speed limit on some roads are set to 55 MPH, but when there are sharp S turns in the road going up or down, there are smaller signs posted to slow down to 40 MPH around those types of corners. If the car is in Autopilot, it will not slow down and take those corners at 55MPH, which makes it kind of scary. I think I did notice the car did decelerate once or twice. Will the car slow down if it detects too much centrifugal force?

I know the easy answer is to pay attention and change the speed. But the more we use Autopilot, the more we like it.

Is this something that runs better on FSD with regard to picking up the speed limit signs? I'm considering purchasing it now that my wife and I have learned to trust the tech more and more. I think at first it was just getting use to the phantom breaking or the warning tones and what they mean. I'm to the point where I am going to subscribe to FSD for a month, and if I like it, I'll buy it. Especially since the price will continue to grow.

Ah, no. The article says “Now this new update gives us some answers.”

The problem is Tesla assigns a speed limit to all roads. My car even thinks that my driveway is 25 mph.

Not all roads have speed limit signs or the speed limit signs are spaced very far apart.

How every foot of all roads have an assigned speed limit is not clear from Tesla. Nor is it easy to “fix”.

To a common degree States set standard speed limits for various roads, state roads, county roads, city roads. But these vary with local jurisdictions.

It would be helpful if Tesla explained how speed limits are set if the car does not see a speed limit sign. Then we could fix the places where generic speed limits are incorrect.
I'm not certain how you would interpret the bold part other than it using GPS data from Google / elsewhere, and complementing with a camera-based sign detection .

“Speed Assist now leverages your car’s cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads. Detected speed limit signs will be displayed in the driving visualization and used to set the associated Speed Limit Warning.”

Agreed with the fragmentation problem of state/county/city speed limits, and can't imagine every foot of road is bagged and tagged accurately. But that's not really the point here, the point is there is no mystery as to how Tesla is doing this IMO.

Upvote 0
I revisited this forum to see if anyone else had noticed an abrupt worsening of the car's ability to parse speed limit signs, because I certainly have. I drive a July2020 MY LR AWD, and on a recent trip down I-5, it ignored three 70MPH speed limit signs in a row after exiting a 60MPH section of the highway. Prior to the recent 2022.20.17 firmware, failures to recognize posted limits were extremely rare; in fact, I don't remember any. With this update, I've had access to the car's "FSD" feature for the first time, and I wonder if its expanded functionality is now starving whatever part of the image-processing activity is responsible for parsing the limit signs of its compute power?

Reactions: cstork
Upvote 0