Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit signs vs Massachusetts’ route signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
172E3855-EA47-4D25-82BE-472A2FAFEE55.jpeg7754B67F-B437-464A-98E0-A5A3F3FCD80F.jpeg
My model Y recognizes speed limit signs. However it also recognizes MA route signs as speed limit signs. Unfortunately mass route signs are white with a black border. If I am driving on et 60 in a posted 35 mph zone, the speed limit sign display will switch between 35 and 60 as the signs appear. My max speed is set to 35...no change. That’s not so bad.

However it also works that way in reverse. In navigate w autopilot, and the route is lower than the speed limit, it will suddenly slow the car down. that is bad when the speed limit on mass RT 28 on cape cod is a 50mph posted road and The Tesla is set to 50 mph. If the rt 28 signs appears just after 50mph sign the car slows to 20 mph (every time, probably because the software error corrects to some that looks like 20, rather than rounding to 30 and never 25, since an 8 is closer to a 0 than a 5)

That abrupt slowdown foils autopilot, and I have to quickly intervene so I don’t get rear-ended. An easily repeatable issue

View attachment 597604View attachment 597605
My model Y recognizes speed limit signs. However it also recognizes MA route signs as speed limit signs. Unfortunately mass route signs are white with a black border. If I am driving on et 60 in a posted 35 mph zone, the speed limit sign display will switch between 35 and 60 as the signs appear. My max speed is set to 35...no change. That’s not so bad.

However it also works that way in reverse. In navigate w autopilot, and the route is lower than the speed limit, it will suddenly slow the car down. that is bad when the speed limit on mass RT 28 on cape cod is a 50mph posted road and The Tesla is set to 50 mph. If the rt 28 signs appears just after 50mph sign the car slows to 20 mph (every time, probably because the software error corrects to some that looks like 20, rather than rounding to 30 and never 25, since an 8 is closer to a 0 than a 5)

That abrupt slowdown foils autopilot, and I have to quickly intervene so I don’t get rear-ended. An easily repeatable issue
BMW (using MobilEye) has the same problem. I drive on route 125 often. It reads it as 25 MPH. I'd prefer if it read 125 MPH. (Sorry officer, my car said I wasn't speeding.)

The U.S. and State Route signs are supposed to have a shield or circular boarder, like this:

US and State Route signs.png

But many State Highway Departments change them to other shapes and colors.

Speed Limit signs come in a number of configurations, making it even harder to read them all correctly:

Speed Limit signs.png

Really seems like Tesla should have done some more testing before going live with this.

It would have been really easy for them to have the entire fleet phone home every time the car thinks that it sees a speed limit sign that is more than 5/10/20 different than expected and wait until they have confirmed there are no kinks before going live.