Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit warning & Autopilot offsets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the 6 months I've owned the car I have been using the speed limit warning chime with an offset of 3mph.

Given instant acceleration which can propel above the legal limit in a blink (LR with acceleration boost), this has been a useful reminder to lift off but the fact that when I select Autopilot it also automatically adds 3mph to the speed limit has just been plain stupid, annoying & sometimes borderline dangerous (....mapping has many incorrect speed limits & since updates 36/40 Autopilot is also using road signs). I'm constantly scrolling back or (recently) hitting the speed limit on the display to correct... annoying & distracting.

All I wanted was...

1. A reminder when I exceed a speed limit by a set amount & separately...
2. Autopilot to default to the speed I was currently doing (as with other cars) or...
3. The actual, accurate limit of the road.

Is that too much to ask?

It makes me question whether the silicon geeks that programme this software are under 16y old & unable to drive themselves but surely somebody within Tesla must experience this illogicality?

Today I've decided that it's time to drop the warning chime, change to display only & the offset to 0. However although the car now only changes speed to whatever it believes to be correct (roads I am familiar with), I don't see any 'display' warnings when I exceed a speed limit regardless of manual driving or Autopilot (also tried offset 1 but no difference).

I expect many of you may not use the warnings or offsets but for me they have been a useful means to keep my speed within reasonable limits so far. Am I doing something wrong or missing something that is supposed to appear on the display, similar to the blue pulse when the steering wheel needs reassurance that my body still has one?

Reactions: MrBadger
I’ve got chime off and offset to +5mph which works “Legally” according to ACOP guidelines of 10% + 2 mph.
Anywhere the car is picking the wrong limit based on what it’s thinking it’s seeing or has found in the depths of its satnav system I’m just using cruise and setting it on the stalk.
I agree, it’s a blunt instrument that could be massively improved very easily.

I use chime, absolute and no offset.
When I hit 31, 51 and so on I get a chime every few seconds which is annoying, particularly if the car has wrongly picked up a lower limit.
The good news is that after 5 or six chimes, it gives up and remains silent.

In case I wasn't clear, my issue is... I'm fed up with the chime previously set at +3 & now it's 0 it would happen even more frequently, hence wanting display only.

I want Autopilot to set to the actual road speed as per Nav &/or road signs (already done that using offset 0)
but....
I also want a warning display on screen (when I exceed whatever the car believes the correct speed to be).

Q. How do I get the speed limit warning on screen & what does it look like?

I've set everything as below but nothing happens on screen when I exceed the speed limit unless I turn chime on, which I no longer want

IuTPg0a.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got chime off and offset to +5mph which works “Legally” according to ACOP guidelines of 10% + 2 mph.
Anywhere the car is picking the wrong limit based on what it’s thinking it’s seeing or has found in the depths of its satnav system I’m just using cruise and setting it on the stalk.
I agree, it’s a blunt instrument that could be massively improved very easily.

Care with the 10% + 2. I recently lost 3hrs of my life on a naughty boy Zoom call. Was photographed by a fixed camera doing 34 in a 30. West Mercia constabulary.

Reactions: eight
In case I wasn't clear, my issue is... I'm fed up with the chime previously set at +3 & now it's 0 it would happen even more frequently, hence wanting display only.

I want Autopilot to set to the actual road speed as per Nav &/or road signs (already done that using offset 0)
but....
I also want a warning display on screen (when I exceed whatever the car believes the correct speed to be).

I've set everything as below but nothing happens on screen when I exceed the speed limit unless I turn chime on, which I no longer want

IuTPg0a.jpg
I think all you get is the middle speed limit indicator increases in size if you’ve going faster than the limit to the right of it.

Reactions: Big Earl
Oh, thanks Dilly.... seems rather pointless as the speed indicator itself tells me that :rolleyes:- I was hoping for something more dramatic that peripheral vision would catch without having to look at the screen (like the blue steering pulse/black warning bar).

(I'll report back when I get a speeding ticket).

Reactions: robmcm
Oh, thanks Dilly.... seems rather pointless as the speed indicator itself tells me that :rolleyes:- I was hoping for something more dramatic that peripheral vision would catch without having to look at the screen (like the blue steering pulse/black warning bar).

(I'll report back when I get a speeding ticket).
It did nothing useful for me either. That’s why I went to chime. It was useless and annoying in my 2012 Prius too.
Bring on a proper usable speed limiter like most modern cars enjoy.

Reactions: Drew57
If you exceed the speed limit the mph sign increases in size by about 5%, for about 5 seconds before going back to original size!
Not very useful. My previous car changed the white background to red until the speed dropped to the limit. That was a much better solution and easy to notice when driving...

Reactions: ajp558 and Drew57

but....

IuTPg0a.jpg
On mine, (Model 3 -2021) when Chime is off the only visual indication on exceeding the limit is that the speed limit displayed increases in size slightly. This is hard to see unless you happen to be actively watching it when it happens. There are many ways this could be improved to provide a better visual warning if anyone was listening (but I don’t think they are?).

Reactions: robmcm
The screen has now changed from original post.
I cannot attach photo. My settings are
Set speed
Select Speed limit and offset, percentage to 10% then set above button back to current speed which grays out offset!

Speed limit warning = chime

Absolute = say 80 mph then change to relative = say 6 mph

Whe you first select cruise with 1 quick press down it will be current speed. Press and hold is speed limit + 10%. Warning in my example case is at +6mph over speed limit bit risky but the bingy bongyness of this car is distracting. These settings sort of work up to 70mph limit when car sets itself up for a bonging session because the warning is lower than the cruise setting. Oh hum 4 bongs and its over!

I turn all alerts and warnings off as much as possible. I don't need the car chiming in every few minutes telling me how to drive.

The constant noises for going over the speed limit is just irritating, I already know if I'm going too fast. I think I turned that off before I even got home on collection day!

Reactions: ACarneiro