Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a two lane road I us a lot the posted speed limit is 55 mph however when I turn onto the road going north the speed limit is displayed as 45 mph. I understand that Tesla uses Google maps and so I signed into google maps and changed the speed limit to 55 mph and got a conformation that the edit was approved. The next time I drove on this road as I made the turn there was a 55 mph sign on the display however as I finished the turn and aligned with the road it was showing 45 mph again. What is puzzling is that when traveling south bound on the same road the speed limit displayed is correct (55 mph). Anyone else have a similar problem or a solution?

It's nice that you update the common Google Maps database. The thing is, the car has its own database for speed limits AFAIK. It would need an update of the maps, which happens once or twice a year. And it would need that update to contain your changes... I don't think we're guaranteed everything is updated everytime Tesla update the maps.

It's nice that you update the common Google Maps database. The thing is, the car has its own database for speed limits AFAIK. It would need an update of the maps, which happens once or twice a year. And it would need that update to contain your changes... I don't think we're guaranteed everything is updated everytime Tesla update the maps.
Okay Thanks. But am I correct that Google Maps is the correct source of information for Tesla? Also when there is an update does it specifically state that the map was updated?

Okay it helps to know the map is separate down load.
I have no way to verify this, but I think the Tesla uses its cameras to read the speed limit signs. I notice that as the speed limit changes, it is updated on the display at the moment your car passes the sign. Also, I have driven in ares that have a lower speed limit due to construction work, and the display changes when you pass a sign that shows the lower limit. School zones are another story.

• Helpful
Reactions: vanjwilson
The Tesla map are outdated (often the same for traffic). Case in point, in Macon GA, exit to I16 West from I75 South is now on the right side, happened 2 months ago. Previously, it was on the left side. The GA DOT is rebuilding the highway exchange. Waze Maps, Google Maps and Apple Maps are correct, change to the maps happened within few days. The Tesla maps are still wrong. At this exit, I have to go off Autopilot in order to exit properly and not ending on a wall.

On a two lane road I us a lot the posted speed limit is 55 mph however when I turn onto the road going north the speed limit is displayed as 45 mph. I understand that Tesla uses Google maps and so I signed into google maps and changed the speed limit to 55 mph and got a conformation that the edit was approved. The next time I drove on this road as I made the turn there was a 55 mph sign on the display however as I finished the turn and aligned with the road it was showing 45 mph again. What is puzzling is that when traveling south bound on the same road the speed limit displayed is correct (55 mph). Anyone else have a similar problem or a solution?

I didn't know users could update google maps with corrected speed limits, what is the process for doing this? There are several areas where google maps has 25 mph limit where the actual speed limit is 55 mph... very frustrating when using Auto Pilot.

Keith

I didn't know users could update google maps with corrected speed limits, what is the process for doing this? There are several areas where google maps has 25 mph limit where the actual speed limit is 55 mph... very frustrating when using Auto Pilot.

Keith
You need to sign in to google maps (create an account) then select the menu (the three horizontal lines upper left corner) then select Edit then read the choices and select Other to change the speed limit on the road you have selected on the map. There is an option (check box) at the top of the edit page to select the entire road.

Yes, the car now reacts to speed limit signs. However, before you reach a sign the car will assume what it has in its database so sometimes you can get periods on the wrong limit.
My understanding from reading the Tesla manual is that for the car to react to a stop sign or traffic light the sign or light must be physically present and in the data base for auto pilot to recognize it. Is this not also true for speed limit signs, that is, both physical and data base information must be present?

You need to sign in to google maps (create an account) then select the menu (the three horizontal lines upper left corner) then select Edit then read the choices and select Other to change the speed limit on the road you have selected on the map. There is an option (check box) at the top of the edit page to select the entire road.
Thanks for this, I have updated 3 spots on google maps where the speed limit is wrong... hopefully it accepts them and eventually it works its way into Tesla's version of google maps.

Keith

My understanding from reading the Tesla manual is that for the car to react to a stop sign or traffic light the sign or light must be physically present and in the data base for auto pilot to recognize it. Is this not also true for speed limit signs, that is, both physical and data base information must be present?
Nope. For example, one common trip for me takes me out of town on a state highway with a 55 mph speed limit. After 5 miles of doing 60 mph, with no speed limit change, the speed limit on my center display changes to 25 mph, limiting me to 30 mph if I want to use Auto Pilot. There isn't a speed limit sign for 25 mph, and in reality the speed limit is still 55 mph... but to the Tesla the speed limit is 25 mph. Another example is an area on my daily commute that had a temporary 45 mph speed zone for some construction work 2 years ago... google maps still thinks this is a 45 mph zone, but the temporary signs were taken down long ago... my car thinks that this 1.5 mile stretch of road is 45 mph.

Keith

Nope. For example, one common trip for me takes me out of town on a state highway with a 55 mph speed limit. After 5 miles of doing 60 mph, with no speed limit change, the speed limit on my center display changes to 25 mph, limiting me to 30 mph if I want to use Auto Pilot. There isn't a speed limit sign for 25 mph, and in reality the speed limit is still 55 mph... but to the Tesla the speed limit is 25 mph. Another example is an area on my daily commute that had a temporary 45 mph speed zone for some construction work 2 years ago... google maps still thinks this is a 45 mph zone, but the temporary signs were taken down long ago... my car thinks that this 1.5 mile stretch of road is 45 mph.

Keith
Ok Thanks. I went for a drive on the road I referenced at the beginning of this discussion and realized, after driving the same road for 40 years, there are no speed limit signs on the north bound section I normally drive. There are however speed limit signs posted on the south bound lane. I checked on speed limits on roads where it is not posted and in Tennessee for this type of road the limit should be 55 mph so the map must have an incorrect speed limit. I guess I will have to wait until the map is updated by Tesla.

Thanks for this, I have updated 3 spots on google maps where the speed limit is wrong... hopefully it accepts them and eventually it works its way into Tesla's version of google maps.

Keith
You can check to see if it accepted the update by going to Menu select Contributions and select Edit. It will show your edits and which have been approve and which are pending.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor