Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limited in the S85 loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've definitely seen service loaners go above 80 as well. For those from Texas (i.e. pete), they still limit it to 80 even though some of your highways have 85MPH speed limits? I'd think they should at least allow you to go the speed limit.

Yeah....I remember when they started doing it around this time last year, Jack, the SC manager at the time, explained that a few customers had been going a little crazy, so I guess it's a liability protection for Tesla as much as anything else. The 85 mph roads are down in Austin I think, nothing fun like that up here around DFW :-(

Autobahn's are ... way safer; I'd be scared of unlimited roads anywhere around these parts.../QUOTE]

Why do you say that? (Just curious) Can you elaborate?

Driving habits, at least here in Texas...people very rarely maintain a safe braking distance behind the car in front. When I learned to drive, I was taught the 3 second rule (i.e. when the car in front passes under a bridge, you should be able to count to 3 before you do the same). If there's a 3 second gap here, someone will fill it in pretty quickly. Plus there's a lot of really crappy cars, inspection standards here are weak. Just a few days ago I drove by a car driving on 3 donuts (temporary spare wheels) - that's unusual, but it's perfectly normal to see a car that's obviously been driving on a donut for months, and at speeds well in excess of 50mph. Finally, overtaking on both sides is illegal on the autobahns, and every other road in Europe, which means that people generally stay in the left lane unless they're overtaking. The autobahns are not perfect, but I think they're regarded as some of, if not the safest, roads in the world, and driving discipline on them has been pretty good when I've driven them. There was this one time I was in a taxi on an autobahn, and we were going at maybe 180kph, which was fine, until he started tapping his glass eye with his pen, then things got a little disconcerting :scared:

I didn't attempt to test the 60 I had last week in Palm Springs, but the loaner contract I signed also said something like "you agree car will not be driven over 80mph". Or maybe that was the test drive agreement - the fellow at the front desk was confused when I showed up for my [service] appointment and thought I was there for a test drive, had me fill out and sign the iPad, which I [obviously] did not read all that carefully.

Autobahn's are ... way safer; I'd be scared of unlimited roads anywhere around these parts.../QUOTE]

Why do you say that? (Just curious) Can you elaborate?

In addition to what Pete said, there are sight distances and other geometrical design practices. The Autobahn has far thicker pavement and roadbed than do Texas roads. Maintenance is also better.

Driving habits, at least here in Texas...people very rarely maintain a safe braking distance behind the car in front. When I learned to drive, I was taught the 3 second rule (i.e. when the car in front passes under a bridge, you should be able to count to 3 before you do the same). If there's a 3 second gap here, someone will fill it in pretty quickly. Plus there's a lot of really crappy cars, inspection standards here are weak. Just a few days ago I drove by a car driving on 3 donuts (temporary spare wheels) - that's unusual, but it's perfectly normal to see a car that's obviously been driving on a donut for months, and at speeds well in excess of 50mph. Finally, overtaking on both sides is illegal on the autobahns, and every other road in Europe, which means that people generally stay in the left lane unless they're overtaking. The autobahns are not perfect, but I think they're regarded as some of, if not the safest, roads in the world, and driving discipline on them has been pretty good when I've driven them. There was this one time I was in a taxi on an autobahn, and we were going at maybe 180kph, which was fine, until he started tapping his glass eye with his pen, then things got a little disconcerting :scared:

In addition to what Pete said, there are sight distances and other geometrical design practices. The Autobahn has far thicker pavement and roadbed than do Texas roads. Maintenance is also better.

I understand now. I was curious to know if they had anything better in the design of the road technically, I mean keeping aside the driving rules/discipline. Thanks.

I am not sure about most areas, but here in Denver, the Service Center sometimes pulls their loaner cars from the nearby gallery's test-drive stock. The Test Drive cars are always speed-limited, but the dedicated loaners (in my experience) have not be locked down.

I am not sure about most areas, but here in Denver, the Service Center sometimes pulls their loaner cars from the nearby gallery's test-drive stock. The Test Drive cars are always speed-limited, but the dedicated loaners (in my experience) have not be locked down.

Until yesterday there was no store in Dallas, so all the loaners were out of the service center, though they've hosted various test drive events as well.