Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limited message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrewHou

Tesla S|3|Solar+PW
May 11, 2022
Houston Texas
First EV and just took delivery of my Tesla MS LR on Saturday. Since I have had the car several times I get a message on the car that my speed is limited to xxx miles per hour (see photo).

Is this normal? I know it tends to happen after supercharging but today it happened after a little spirited driving for a bit. Hoping someone can help since I couldn’t find any information online or in the manual.

Attachments

• DE51A45C-0831-4AF1-B9AA-0440477149F7.png
    DE51A45C-0831-4AF1-B9AA-0440477149F7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
Buggy software probably. The speed limit mode is (or was) limited to max 99 MPH speed, so it would make sense that if you are going over that it would state your current speed, and change with your speed. It is just a warning. I would try toggling the Speed Limit Mode on and then off slowly a couple of times. Maybe an update set it wrong, and toggling it may fix the issue. You will need to enter a PIN to turn it on the first time, and it is required to turn it off. I think this is a unique pin just for this feature to enable the first time and disable.

Speed isn’t limited after supercharging. Will be limited regen if you charge to 100%.

What driving performance mode do you have it in? Looks like it might be in drag strip mode or ludicrous. That preheats the battery for higher performance.

If performance is limited, the message he is getting is for Speed Limit Mode. Performance is shown on the Energy graph with a yellow triangle, and limitations of the power available. There is also a performance decrease message if the battery is too hot or too cold to provide full performance. It would not limit the speed to a certain speed.

I’ve kept it in sport mode, and I will try turning speed limit setting on and then off again a few times and see if that makes a difference. It just is strange it only shows up at times. For example after supercharging I had barely hit 30mph and it showed speed limited to 120mph on a residential street. It’s not like I need to go beyond these speeds but it’s annoying having a message up there for the entire ride until I turn off the car.

I’ve kept it in sport mode, and I will try turning speed limit setting on and then off again a few times and see if that makes a difference. It just is strange it only shows up at times. For example after supercharging I had barely hit 30mph and it showed speed limited to 120mph on a residential street. It’s not like I need to go beyond these speeds but it’s annoying having a message up there for the entire ride until I turn off the car.
Do you have 2022.12.3.3 firmware?

Since it’s after supercharging you might be running into the MCU overheating. Which supposedly new firmware corrects.

Reactions: DerbyDave