Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limited to XX mph Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Monday (Oct. 12th, 2022) we were about 30 minutes away from the Dayton, OH Supercharger on the second leg of our trip from Maryland to Iowa on I70. The car started slowing down and a message displayed saying speed limited to 54 mph but that it was safe to continue to drive. Also, at this time the car was preparing for charging. We pulled into the charger and hooked up. After several minutes the message disappeared. I then got connected to Tesla Roadside Assistance and reported the issue. I was told that the front motor inverter was overheating. The tech that was working with me (extremely patient) had me try several things including doing a console reset. Since the message had disappeared he advised that it was safe to continue our trip but that we should have the car checked at a service center when possible. Note that we were driving at 70 mph under FSD Beta when this occurred. Later when we were driving through Indianapolis on city streets going to the Speedway Supercharger we got a similar message with the speed limited to 60 mph. Haven't seen this again since but still need to schedule a Service Center visit. Has anyone else seen this? This is the third time we have made this exact same trip since Oct. 2021. The car has 16,804 miles and the battery is above its cohort regarding range vs age and mileage driven.

Last Monday (Oct. 12th, 2022) we were about 30 minutes away from the Dayton, OH Supercharger on the second leg of our trip from Maryland to Iowa on I70. The car started slowing down and a message displayed saying speed limited to 54 mph but that it was safe to continue to drive. Also, at this time the car was preparing for charging. We pulled into the charger and hooked up. After several minutes the message disappeared. I then got connected to Tesla Roadside Assistance and reported the issue. I was told that the front motor inverter was overheating. The tech that was working with me (extremely patient) had me try several things including doing a console reset. Since the message had disappeared he advised that it was safe to continue our trip but that we should have the car checked at a service center when possible. Note that we were driving at 70 mph under FSD Beta when this occurred. Later when we were driving through Indianapolis on city streets going to the Speedway Supercharger we got a similar message with the speed limited to 60 mph. Haven't seen this again since but still need to schedule a Service Center visit. Has anyone else seen this? This is the third time we have made this exact same trip since Oct. 2021. The car has 16,804 miles and the battery is above its cohort regarding range vs age and mileage driven.
I got a similar message today but the limit was 70 mph. I tried turning valet mode on and off No luck.

Tesla found the following issues: "VCFRONT_a249_coolantValveBadMode, DIR_a202_excessHeatUnavailable, DIR_a126_limpMode,DIR_a103_lowFlow.

They drained the cooling system and evacuated the air conditioning system. They replaced the Super-Bottle, vacuum filled the cooling system and charged the air conditioning system with 660g of r1234-yf. They performed a 5 way valve test, air purge, and a thermal performance test. No alerts present after the repairs were performed.

All of this was covered under warranty. Also as a plus they were able to fix damage to the rear bumper without sending me to an outside body shop. Something I only asked them about when I arrived for my service appointment. They replaced the fascia better known as the bumper cover for $1023.99. I expected this was going to cost more like $3000 so happy all around.