Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limiter by Driver Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if this has been brought up before...but I am awaiting a Model 3 AWD this fall (before the credit gets reduced :)) , and my son who will start driving in February when he turns 16. I read somewhere there was a speed limiter option in the app now, perhaps for the Model S, but what I am thinking goes beyond this.

I would like the ability to SLOW the car down, based on driver profile (or perhaps even a guest driver with just the card key) so that it:
1. can't go over a certain speed I set - say 75 miles an hour and
2. the 0-60 time is slowed...so maybe it only goes 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Both of these settings would minimize issues, such as excessive speed or multiple attempts to launch the car as fast as possible.

I know the 3 AWD is not as fast as the Performance 3 or a Model S, but it still is fast enough to encourage romping on the accelerator pedal....by a kid, valet, or anyone else that might borrow the car. With this, we can be in control of who really gets to have fun!

Reactions: Chuq
#1 you can do; there's a speed limit that you can set where the car will not exceed it. It's protected from disabling by a PIN that you select. However, it is not part of any driver profile. It remains in effect for everybody. It can be set from the car's display or the app. #2 might also be possible using the "Chill" mode, but that feature can be disabled by anyone; i.e., there's nothing protecting that setting from being changed at any time. And as far as I know, there's no way to "dial" in any performance level that you want.

It would be nice for Tesla to incorporate these two options under the driver Profiles. Maybe in time they will issue an OTA that addresses these features.